Options

How to make a banner with your own photograph

ottsworldottsworld Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited November 27, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi everyone - I want to start the process of customizing my smugmug site and my first step was to create a banner from one of my photographs. I have photoshop, yet I have no real idea on how to accomplish making a banner with it. It's like owning a Ferrari and not knowing how to drive a manual transmission...not pretty. Of course I have asked for a Photoshop book for Christmas, but patience was never one of my strong points.
Can anyone provide me a some quick tips on how to create a banner in Photoshop with one of my own photographs that I could simply crop and then put some text over the top? I have found a bunch of banner tutorials - but they don't use photographs, they start from scratch instead.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I'm just learning photoshop myself, but couldn't you get the photograph you want, crop it to your liking, and then do the lettering as a new layer (maybe that's when the tutorials can come into play ? ne_nau.gif )... Sorry, i'm not much help, but that's the way i would approach it...
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    what Raphy said... find photo, crop to size, add text in PS as a layer, position and flatten, now add it too your site.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I have been meaning to do this
    Just a thought but probably a panorama would make the best image to use. At least that is my plan when I get to it. The only pano I have is one Vancouver at dawn and it probably does not match my site well... Which is probably one of the reasons I have not done it yet
    biggrinbounce2.gif

Just something to think about.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    ottsworldottsworld Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    I did it!
    Thanks everyone! It took me a while, but I was able to accomplish it - bare bones - nothing fancy, but at least it's a start! I was even able to put it up on my site thanks to the tutorials. I really need to get a PS book though!
    www.sherryott.smugmug.com