Options

Epson Stylus 1400

RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, its been a dogs age since I posted here but what the hell...

I just picked up an Epson Stylus 1400 printer and have been looking at trying to calculate printing costs. Unlike some other printer makers Epson does not seem to list or make available the quantity of ink in the cartridges, lest not any reviews I've read on it nor on the cartridges themselves. So my question is, does any one here own one of these printers or something along the same lines and have any info on number of prints to expect.

Yes I know there are many factors, image size, print density, colors contained in any given print that may use more of color than another, etc, and I did do my homework on this. I almost got the 1800, but found the 1400 at best buy, of all places for just under $300 and well, there's nothing like instant gratification. Very pleased with the results so far, and now my digital dark room is complete, got everything I need to go from camera thru printing to mounting and framing. Now I just need to figure out ink useage.

Also any tips on setting up the best print settings to get optimum quality in general with this line? (it uses dye-based inks) I currently have Photoshop CS 8, and Elements 6 and I see there are a ton of options for color-space for printing, and just reviewed the thread started by Fish that has some good info in it as well.

Thanks

RocketMan
http://roadrunes.com
"It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D

Comments

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Well, it is more expensive then your local Sam's club, but you may get better results.

My wife is into Scrapbooking, and she prints A LOT on our R1800, I have saved all the empties, just so I can total costs for a year. We are getting close to 12 months now, and I am pushing the $500 mark in ink, not to mention PAPER!

Nothing is more convenient then having a GOOD Photo quality printer at home, but for larger prints that you don't have to have NOW it is better to send those off to the lab.

Oh, my 1800 carts hold about 10mL give or take, and with my ink costs included, I SHOULD have bought the 3800, it has 70 or 80 mL carts, and I would still be on my first set of colors!

Here is a website that will help with ink and paper costs:

www.atlex.com

I have ordered from them a few times, and the price is right, and the shipping is pretty fast to!

Enjoy your new toy!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    thanks I'll try to compare the size of the 1800 to the 1400, for paper costs I created a spreadsheet listing prices from several places and a matrix to track useage of inks by color and print size and dpi. I'll start filling it out as I print. For now I'll go with some estimates and try build a price sheet from that. I'm hoping to get some sales as time goes on and as I get closer to semi-retirement when I'll have more time and more room for my matting supplies and such.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    No Problem.

I like being able to print at home when I have too, and the cost is close once you get it all figured out.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix