another family shot

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in People
This was shot just as the sun was setting...
I'm hoping my processing is improving...it's tough working with all the blacks in the pants and dress. I'm on a new monitor that really shows me more shadow detail, but I'm not sure yet how that translates to prints.
I wish I had had them all take a step forward so the dad's shoulder wasn't covered by the tree, and there is a slight motion blur on the boy's head, but I liked the kids' expressions. (They were laughing at my son...maybe that's why I like it!)

225777055-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    This is looking pretty good to me. I really don't see anything to add beyond what you've already indicated, to the critic on this.thumb.gif

To bring out the detail in the dark, a run through either Lightroom or PSCS3 ACR will get the job done quite nicely. They both have a slider called Fill Light - works wonders on things like this.

Question - You have a new monitor. Is it calibrated? If not, get it calibrated!!! It will save you all kinds of heartburn/frustration/etc.
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Elaine I see an improvement here. Did you use curves and set the black/white points? Scott is right about the fill light but I know that you have PSE5. Also CS2 and 3 have an adjustment tool called shadow/highlight which I think is awesome. Use it all the time. Getting better on these and I do like this picture.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    What a nice family portrait. The kids all have such wonderful expressions.