Options

Monitor Colours on Vaio Laptop -->Pantone Huey Pro

digitalnov1digitalnov1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 27, 2007 in Finishing School
I have read previous posts about color calibration using the Pantone products, including one user having a sony computer as well. I have a specific question regarding my laptop:

its a sony vaio FZ with X-Brite Eco display. Bottom line : it distorts colors, as reds are too bright, too vivid, and tends to put a yellowish tone on beige and brown, especially on digital indoor pictures.

Does anyone know if the Pentone Huey Pro MEU113 will correct the display of the sony laptop , as to give true to life colors ?
I'd rather hear feed-back before

I am not worried about printing, just monitor calibration. As an example, my previous laptop IBM thinkpad gave very good colors without any set-up modification but the Sony supposed "enhanced" display is making things worse for digital photography work.

Thanks in advance,
:D

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I don't know if this is going to help you...BUT

I bought the Huey pro for use with my Sony Vaio Xbrite eco display and found the calibration too brown and mucky.

I tried various things, got nowhere with their customer service (send us a screenshot...I did...they say "we don't see any brown"...um, maybe b/c YOUR monitor is calibrated properly! who's on first...)

I ended up restoring to default and ordering a few test prints from Smugmug and WHCC. I found them both to be very close. WHCC closer, but at least now I know that I need to edit in a dark environment, and adjust for either printer.

I know it's not the most scientific method, but prints are what i'm concerned about, which I know is different than your question.

If I had it to do over again I would have saved the $120 or whatever and went with an eye one or Spyder2. (on my christmas list ;)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    digitalnov1digitalnov1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I don't know if this is going to help you...BUT

I bought the Huey pro for use with my Sony Vaio Xbrite eco display and found the calibration too brown and mucky.

I tried various things, got nowhere with their customer service (send us a screenshot...I did...they say "we don't see any brown"...um, maybe b/c YOUR monitor is calibrated properly! who's on first...)

I ended up restoring to default and ordering a few test prints from Smugmug and WHCC. I found them both to be very close. WHCC closer, but at least now I know that I need to edit in a dark environment, and adjust for either printer.

I know it's not the most scientific method, but prints are what i'm concerned about, which I know is different than your question.

If I had it to do over again I would have saved the $120 or whatever and went with an eye one or Spyder2. (on my christmas list ;)

---
    Thanks for your feed-back !
    I am sorry to hear the Huey thing did not work its magic !

I really think that this ECO-X BRITE is very flashy but doesn't help digital photography at all. All reviews on the Sony praise the display, but its mostly geared at gamers or DVD playing. So I am clearly disappointed with Sony and I am letting the word out, and it sounds like the Huey will not solve my display&true to life colors issues.

Hopefully a Sony Laptop user will find a way around and post it here....
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:

It must be the display, if this review of the Huey Pro is to be believed, because the review/test puts the Huey Pro on a level with the Eye One, which it thinks is better than the Spyder.

On the Mac side that I'm familiar with, the color rendition of the laptop LCDs is consistently inferior to the desktop LCDs. Maybe all you're running into is the natural quality gulf between the portable and desktop displays.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    It must be the display, if this review of the Huey Pro is to be believed, because the review/test puts the Huey Pro on a level with the Eye One, which it thinks is better than the Spyder.

On the Mac side that I'm familiar with, the color rendition of the laptop LCDs is consistently inferior to the desktop LCDs. Maybe all you're running into is the natural quality gulf between the portable and desktop displays.

As a whole I believe in reviews. I did my research, waited for the Huey Pro to come out, and got burned. It happens!

I definitely agree that the quality gulf between displays is the issue with the laptop. Now that I think about it, the main reason I thought the Sony calibration failed was the limitations of brightness and contrast adjustment the laptop, which are required for Huey to work. That said, the Huey Pro failed to calibrate my (work) desktop monitor (An HP L1906) considerably more miserably than the Sony. I have tried dozens of times, although I never edit photos on my work monitor, just view them, so I wasn't as motivated to keep troubleshooting. I should probably try Pantone again about a replacement. I just hate emailing an issue and waiting weeks for a response that doesn't even address my issue.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers