first play with extension tubes.

joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
edited December 4, 2007 in Holy Macro
I've had a 100mm macro lens for a while, and had a play with reversing a 50mm on the end of a 200.....

examples:
60870740-S-4.jpg136320068-S-4.jpg60870750-S-4.jpg

...........But I finally got around to getting a cheap set of manual extension tubes. I love them, some full auto kenko tubes are totally on my christmas list, here's some of my first pics.

224745138-M-1.jpg

224749558-L-1.jpg

224756911-L-1.jpg

I also shot a ruller and worked out these are 2:1 magnification.

jamesOgle photography
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Good shots- particularly like the cicada.
    Think the sunlight in some of the fly shots is a bit harsh.
    You are right with the magnification with a full set of ext tubes (around 65mm) on a 100mm macro lens gives a max of around 2:1 - taking pics of rulers is a good idea to check
    Brian V.
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Thanks brian, it means a lot.

I agree that the light is harsh, they are all direct sunlight. I got out my off shoe cord and a small softbox to try and soften it out, but I found that the lens flared too much. The insides of my cheap tubes are reflecting all over the place it seems. That's the other reason I'm dropping hints that I want some tubes for christmas :)

here's the math's using the ruler I shot. Almost exactly 2:1 http://ogle.smugmug.com/gallery/729010#224769115 You can also see the flare I was talking about as a white blur in the middle, it is only in some shots.

looking forward to posting something better when I get a chance to shoot more! thumb.gif
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    Thanks brian, it means a lot.

I agree that the light is harsh, they are all direct sunlight. I got out my off shoe cord and a small softbox to try and soften it out, but I found that the lens flared too much. The insides of my cheap tubes are reflecting all over the place it seems. That's the other reason I'm dropping hints that I want some tubes for christmas :)

here's the math's using the ruler I shot. Almost exactly 2:1 http://ogle.smugmug.com/gallery/729010#224769115 You can also see the flare I was talking about as a white blur in the middle, it is only in some shots.

looking forward to posting something better when I get a chance to shoot more! thumb.gif

Odd re the flare - assume you weren't getting the flash firing directly into the lens ?
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    I've had a 100mm macro lens for a while, and had a play with reversing a 50mm on the end of a 200.....

examples:

...........But I finally got around to getting a cheap set of manual extension tubes. I love them, some full auto kenko tubes are totally on my christmas list, here's some of my first pics.

I also shot a ruller and worked out these are 2:1 magnification.

Hi there Jogle, the desire to get even closer than the 100mm will allow,
    is something many people go through.

I loved my 100mm when I first got it (Still Do!) but I wanted to get even close.

Then came screw on lenses/filters, then the Auto Extention Tubes
    till finally a new Lens was on my Wish List.

Hope Santa will grant you your wishrolleyes1.gif
    Don't forget to leave him a treat before you go to bed Christmas Eve.

The series looks, I like your dragonfly and cicada.

Thanks for sharing Jogle thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Think these are brilliant...so close....do you recomend the Kenco extension tubes...want to write my letter to Santa and tubes are one of the many camera things i would like to have....Hope you get yours!!!

Patricia...........:D