Options

Wedding Photography Help/Tips

rlrl79rlrl79 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 11, 2007 in Technique
Hi, a friend asked me to take a photograph on his wedding in addition to the one they are hiring. I've always loved photography so I decided to buy a new camera, what better way to learn right. I just recently bought a D80 with 15-55mm and 55-200VR nikon lenses, and an SB-800. Can anybody give me any tips on how I can best utilize my equipment into taking better pictures. Pls advice on which lens to use, which mode, what settings to use, setting up the flash etc.. anything would help.. pls...

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    There are a lot of info on weddings, events photography here on this board and also on the internet. Did you just buy camera for this particular event, or are you trying to really learn photography? I think you'll need to start with basics, first and formost. It is all about lighting, for the most part. If you're not familiar with the subject or basics of it, i'd suggest a lot of reading. Good start would be with your camera manual. Other then that, practice, practice and practice.

For the wedding, we have a lot of folks here who can help from the experience. Lenses, set ups and all.
    Good luck!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    I think you are mad to take an important event with a camera you dont know - put it on to automatic and treat it as a compact.

Try and make sure you can get the flash to work beforehand and put a diffuser on it.

Dont bother with raw if you do not know how to post-process it.

Cross you fingers and pray as you will not learn anything in a single shoot - it needs lots of practice if you are to beat a pro.

Only other tip is to put it on continuous and fire at least 5 shots per sequence to get the best chance of that special moment.
    Good luck.
    Sorry!
  • Options
    scottphotographyscottphotography Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    I agree w/others but here is your help.
    Lens: F/2.8 or faster
    Mode: Appature priority mode or Manual. Allows bluring of background and sets shutter speed for you. Manual you control both.
    ISO: 100. Inside you will need to bump to 800.
    Camera: D-80 is just fine. All settings are controlable.

Be prepared to spend some money on lens'. This is the business end of the camera.

Start w/Jpeg format. Don't use RAW until you know how to post-process.

Use a tripod when you can.

Also use a VR rated lens. Give you faster speeds while hand holding.

Shoot as an assistant first and learn.
    wings.gif
    Scott
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Most important, Dont get in the pro photogs way or shoot behind him. *big NO NO *
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    i'm sorry but i'll have to disagree on the RAW bit.

i'm a total wedding n00b but i did one wedding and RAW saved my life! you'll only get one chance at the wedding to get the shots but you'll have a lot of time afterwards to process the shots. if you dont know how to process RAW you can always learn it afterwards and you'll be much better able to salvage shots where your exposure or WB is off.

besides.. how much is there to learn to do basic RAW conversion.. ?? ne_nau.gif

furthermore, i would try to get to know the flash very well because you will need it. try different settings at the location and pick the best. lenses that will give you shallow depth of field are also a big plus because they let you single out your subject from the rest of the (busy) environment.

most of all, good luck and try to enjoy the opportunity. clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    CookieS wrote:
    Most important, Dont get in the pro photogs way or shoot behind him. *big NO NO *
    It's best to just talk to the pro. Most wedding Pro's are easy to get along with. The first wedding I shot "behind" the pro was one of the easiest weddings I shot. I just asked if I was cool doing my thing and said to him a few times that all he needs to do is speak up and I'll back off. Just be courteous and see what you can get out of it.

To really sink in what the others have said:
    Flash is your friend. Learn it, use it.
    Fast glass is nice but not necessary.
    Shoot everything. Cull out the bad ones in post.

If your shooting "A" or "S" be prepared to do some serious adjusting from shot to shot in post. Your letting the camera think. Your better off shooting 100% manual. The reason behind this is that you will mainly be in three places. 1. Pre wedding dressing rooms. 2. Wedding chapel/gazebo/whatever. 3. Reception. Shooting in manual will help make global adjustments to your pictures and wrap it up quickly vs. compensating for every shot that your camera was making adjustments for. Your pictures will also look more consistant as well. All you need to do is manually dial in your camera at the beginning of each event, and your set.

At the end of the day though. It's what your comfortable with that will decide how you shoot.

Good luck!

-Jon
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    I have to say I've seen this question before, but I really don't understand what the bride and groom don't think the professional is not going to get, that a complete newbie is. I am not trying to be mean, I just honestly don't get it.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I have to say I've seen this question before, but I really don't understand what the bride and groom don't think the professional is not going to get, that a complete newbie is. I am not trying to be mean, I just honestly don't get it.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Bridal magazines have it out for photogs though. There are TONS of how to tips on how to get the best price, find the cheapest bid.. etc. This helps create the mindset of, "I don't need to spend that much on a photog". Then they get mediocre pictures to remember one of the single most important days of their life which they probably spent anywhere upwards of 10k on.

Lynne make a good point rlrl. You need to be very upfront to your friends about your skill level and what you plan to give them. This will also protect against any hurt feelings or damaging a friendship.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    you know, maybe people should just hire a videographer and not a photographer so they get every possible frame. That would save money!thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited November 27, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:

While the formals and ceremony are probably going to be covered pretty well by the pro, the candids and "grabs" can be captured by anyone and the more the merrier.

As far as why a bride or groom (B/G) might invite another photographer, if it's a friend then maybe they, the B/G, want that person because the friend might know the invited guests, something like that. Knowing the personalities of the guests can provide some interesting opportunities.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While the formals and ceremony are probably going to be covered pretty well by the pro, the candids and "grabs" can be captured by anyone and the more the merrier.

As far as why a bride or groom (B/G) might invite another photographer, if it's a friend then maybe they, the B/G, want that person because the friend might know the invited guests, something like that. Knowing the personalities of the guests can provide some interesting opportunities.

I have no beefs with guests taking pictures with their cameras of their own volition, like you said, the more the merrier! But if that were the case, why would folks like the OP be concerned with what lighting to use, what lenses do I need to buy, quick I need to learn how to be a wedding photographer, etc? I think the issue here is communication. What do the bride and groom truly want that their photographer cannot deliver? Have they notified the pro of their desire to engage another photographer?

Maybe I am a control freak, highly likely in fact, but delivering stellar wedding photos is very important to me as a professional. I have added an exclusive photographer clause in my contract during the portrait sessions (bride alone, bride and groom alone) for this reason. I have VERY limited time w/ bride and groom for portraits and I have had guests monopolize that. Look over here, why don't you stand over there, standing in front of my lights casting shadows, etc. I kept my mouth shut out of courtesy to everyone, but deliverables were affected.

I hope Aunt Sally gave them some stellar shots though, for free! Kidding....

I just wanted to add the flip side, of a guest that was not asked by the B&G, but came with his camera for his own pleasure. He saw that I was using a Canon transmitter to fire off camera lighting on the dance floor. He actually turned his 580EX to slave, and positioned where he thought I might use some extra light (super dark reception hall!) without bringing any attention to himself. It only took a few frames for me to notice, and I took advantage of the extra light for a few minutes. Then introduced myself and thanked him. He wasn't trying to compete with me to be the "wedding photographer". He's been a film hobbyist for 30 years, and truly respected what I was trying to do, deliver great photos to his niece. I will never forget that!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    The Works
    First I will disclose that I am a Professional Photographer. I've been behind a lens for many years. I know the difference between Wide Open and Stop Down. A wedding is a very serious event that occurs ONCE. A pro comes prepared (hopefully) and that includes preparation for all potential issues including expectations by the bride and groom.

Just because your friends asked you to shoot, you should put something in writing because they may think that just because you have a "good camera" you will get a good result. Far from the truth! There is so much more to photography, as you can see by looking here at Dgrin. If you have no insurance, you should definitely think about it. You can't promise anything because well you have a new camera. I would never use a new camera at an event. I'd test it a few times as a back up and then check results first. That camera needs to be a part of you and you need to know most of it's functions. This is a once in a life time event.

The first wedding I did as a friend caused me extensive financial deficit syndrome. A camera body became a need for two, and glass of many legnths and widths. Lights came next. Not just A flash - on camera flash, off camera flash, then it became studio lighting, backgrounds, props, even furniture. As of today, I am getting some keys to a place I can call Studio. My day job suffers while I surf the photography boards on the latest and greatest Wedding/Portrait and Event Trends.

So be prepared. Write your friends a note and tell them what to expect and relieving you of any responsibility as a "pro". And then watch out. It can be addictive.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited November 27, 2007
    ChatKat wrote:
    ... As of today, I am getting some keys to a place I can call Studio. ...

Congratulations and good luck. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Thank you
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations and good luck. clap.gif

Thanks, Ziggy!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    yeah same on the contract stipulation. We had one hour once at this awesome location. I was only able to get 15 minutes with the b&g alone before the whole family started with the smiles etc etc. It was harmless, but out of the possibilities, we ended up with about 15 possible enlargements and it should have been a lot higher! I don't do the photo nazi thing but have been a lot more expressive in how important it is to slot that certain amount of 'look at me and only me' time. It doesn't have to be huge, just a small section for their memories.

Oh and advice, sorry - know your gear backwards and have back-up gear in case it stuffs up. Know what your people want and since new at it, try and get some practice sessions with them first, so you're all comfortable with each other, and you with your gear! Since you're all friends, that shouldn't be too hard to organise and watch your light. test yourself at their wedding time as often as possible before hand and in as many varying weather conditions as possible. Practice some street shots, to get faster with watching etc etc. Practice, practice, practice - know light and your gear!

Good luck and have a great day, they're tiring but a lot of fun!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    rlrl79 wrote:
    Hi, a friend asked me to take a photograph on his wedding in addition to the one they are hiring. I've always loved photography so I decided to buy a new camera, what better way to learn right. I just recently bought a D80 with 15-55mm and 55-200VR nikon lenses, and an SB-800. Can anybody give me any tips on how I can best utilize my equipment into taking better pictures. Pls advice on which lens to use, which mode, what settings to use, setting up the flash etc.. anything would help.. pls...

As for JPG or RAW.....I am not familiar with the D80 but if y9u can shoot RAW+large JPG then do it...yes it takes up a little more room but you can file those raw pics for when you get time to lean raw conversion and you may even beable to turn out some outstanding portfolio pics down the road and also impress your friends with what you got the first time out....

Purchase 1 or 2 8gb cards this will give you AMPLE "film" for shooting both RAW+JPG.........price is dropping so y0ou should be able to find good quality cards(I shoot Transcend and they have never failed me but others swear by San Disk (either Ultra or Extreme for San Disk) ) at reasonable prices or gt that new SD wifi card and carry your laptop to instantly download to.....

Talk with the PRO, try to do this before ( a week or so if your friends will give up his contact info, as it very stressfull the day of for all involved) to see if you can shoot beside him/her......when I was doing PRO weddings I was using flashes with slave triggers that anyones point and shoot would set off and I made a very nice but clear statement that anyone could talk photos with flash if they were ready and did it immediately follwing my flash so My units had a few seconds to recharge and their flashes did not hinder me in any way...........I also had them stay to my side as I was always doing the foot zoom even when I shot with a zoom as I do not change lenses (now I have 2 bodies that have my lenses for the day attached and I still foot zoom from time to time).........

I would recommend learning your camera inside and out (just like most others recommended)...if the PRO is shooting and making pose changes to fast for you....Do not ask him to slow down...not only is that unprofessional but it can throw him/her out of their game, as we PROs we get a rhythm going and hate to have it interrupted, since we do not carry a list of shots to be done but normally (at least I do have a mental list) there is a menatal list of where and what we want to shoot in each venue we are at ( i make a mental list by visitng the wedding venue in advance of the event)......I have always shoot in Aperture Priority and used flash for fill on every shoot except those we call intimates and during the ceremony.......

For a first time wedding I would advise the use of no flash and shoot this as an intelligence gathering operation......include the photog in your shots....shoot especially all his poses this is the beginning of your portfolio if you decide to take this road any farther....tell your friends that you are not familiar enuff with all you NEW equipment to use the flash properly and rather than totally muck up everything for everyone you'll shoot with out flash...do use a mono pod...not a tripod as this will take up room that the pro needs unless you stay a long ways away from the PRO........

since you only have the 1 body I would suggest the 55-200 vr,,,changing lenses takes time and you miss things.....if at 55mm it is not wide enuff, do the foot zoom (walk back wards to get the proper view).....shoot high ISO for all indoors stuff and low (100) iso for all outdoors stuff..............

Most importantly go to this special occasion of your friends and HAVE FUN.......if you cannot have fun whilst shooting their wedding then by all means rethink ever doing it again....if your not having fun it shows in the photos.........................

If you should decide to take a stab at shooting weddings for money then start looking at good flah brackets that the camera rotates on and not the flash....also start looking at radio triggers for your flashes or have at least 2 sets of dedicated cables for your flash on the bracket.....I hate being tied by cable as they can cause more trouble on a wedding day than they are worth sometimes.......

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    rlrl79rlrl79 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2007
    To All:
    Thank you all for all the reply, I very much appreciated all the input. My friend is just going to have small wedding, they actually didn't want to hire a professional photographer because of budget constraints. They actually just asked me if I can just take pictures and go crazy with my point and shoot. Since I wanted to practice on my photography why buy a new set so at least I can get a better picture quality than my point and shoot. As far as their expectations, they don't really expect much, they know my skill level. So if I'm going to take pictures, why not get the best out of it by using a better camera. I've always loved photography but I haven't got to it. Since I have the money now to buy the gear then I can take this opportunity as my start in photography. And If I'm going to start, then why not start right. Thanks again !!
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    rlrl79 wrote:
    Thank you all for all the reply, I very much appreciated all the input. My friend is just going to have small wedding, they actually didn't want to hire a professional photographer because of budget constraints. They actually just asked me if I can just take pictures and go crazy with my point and shoot. Since I wanted to practice on my photography why buy a new set so at least I can get a better picture quality than my point and shoot. As far as their expectations, they don't really expect much, they know my skill level. So if I'm going to take pictures, why not get the best out of it by using a better camera. I've always loved photography but I haven't got to it. Since I have the money now to buy the gear then I can take this opportunity as my start in photography. And If I'm going to start, then why not start right. Thanks again !!

let us know how it went! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PhyxiusPhyxius Registered Users Posts: 1,396 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

My cousin just got married in July and while they hired a bridal photog they asked me to bring my camera and take some pictures if I "got a chance". I took lots and sent them to them. Um. MY photos are the majority of the ones printed and on display in their house. They were not very happy with the hired photog and were even happier that I came. Those of you that know me know that I shoot horses, not weddings. ;)
    Christina Dale
    SmugMug Support Specialist - www.help.smugmug.com

http://www.phyxiusphotos.com
    Equine Photography in Maryland - Dressage, Eventing, Hunters, Jumpers
  • Options
    PhyxiusPhyxius Registered Users Posts: 1,396 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I'm not sure if I missed the date of the wedding, but I'd suggest, if possible getting to the venue a couple days before the wedding at the same time that the wedding (and reception) will be. Take some test shots to see how your camera performs. Many D80 owners (yes, I am one) feel that the D80 over exposes by .3 so you may want to dial down exposure compensation by -.3

Good luck and have fun :)
    Christina Dale
    SmugMug Support Specialist - www.help.smugmug.com

http://www.phyxiusphotos.com
    Equine Photography in Maryland - Dressage, Eventing, Hunters, Jumpers