Options

My fish PUFFY

aprilapril Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited March 20, 2004 in Other Cool Shots
Just thought I would share one more picture and ask what I could have done better with the shot?

This is my fish in his new huge tank. This is PUFFY
www.homedecor4you.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. "

Comments

• Options
    TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    april wrote:
    Just thought I would share one more picture and ask what I could have done better with the shot?

Very pretty fish. I really like all the colors. Puffy looks a little blurry, though. Other than that... great job. Keep shooting, you have more courage than I. I am a little nervous about posting a picture.
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    Puffy looks a little blurry, though.
    Pretty hard to tell a fish what you want him sit still.:D
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    Actually, if you want the best tips on shooting fishes, you must visit one of my home sites and look up photog tips from Bob Fenner. The site is http://www.wetwebmedia.com

The man's logged WELL over 3,000 dives, and does a lot of shooting in the water, as well as having his camera and bag with him whenever we make a visit to the L.A. wholesalers. (Woo hoo! 104th street, here we come!)
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    Very pretty fish. I really like all the colors. Puffy looks a little blurry, though. Other than that... great job. Keep shooting, you have more courage than I. I am a little nervous about posting a picture.

Have you seen some of what's been posted? You have absolutely nothing to fear. Folks here are far too kind to give nasty feedback. Other than Fish, of course.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    Fish Feedback
    wxwax wrote:
    Have you seen some of what's been posted? You have absolutely nothing to fear. Folks here are far too kind to give nasty feedback. Other than Fish, of course.
    I never intended for the feedback to sound nasty. Believe me I am truly a beginner. I just said what I thought when I first looked at the shot. I actually leaned closer to my moniter to try to see Puffy's eyes and color. I am a fan of close-ups and really close ups. So naturally I guess I wanted to see the beauty of the fish.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been shooting with SLR's for quite some time now. Just bought my first digital little over a week ago. Hopefully I will get some shots to show soon. I am very interested in hearing everyone's critique. I'll take the good with the bad!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    I never intended for the feedback to sound nasty. Believe me I am truly a beginner. I just said what I thought when I first looked at the shot. I actually leaned closer to my moniter to try to see Puffy's eyes and color. I am a fan of close-ups and really close ups. So naturally I guess I wanted to see the beauty of the fish.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been shooting with SLR's for quite some time now. Just bought my first digital little over a week ago. Hopefully I will get some shots to show soon. I am very interested in hearing everyone's critique. I'll take the good with the bad!1drink.gif

thumb.gif I look forward to seeing the shots! Fish's weekly challenges are a fun place to start.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    sit still puffy NOT
    YEs it is very hard to tell a fish to stay still Laughing.gif .
    www.homedecor4you.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. "

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    Hi puffy! wave.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited March 18, 2004
    april wrote:

I don't know if you're using manual focus or not. But glass has a
    tendancy fool autofocus. Also, maybe shoot the tank head on? I
    can see some reflections in the upper left corner.

Otherwise, I think puffy is cool looking fish (well, not that he
    LOOKS like fish ne_nau.gif ).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    Go visit the wetwebmedia site, this stuff is practically our business!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    well
    PUFFY syas Hi Fish!
    www.homedecor4you.com

• Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hi puffy! wave.gif
    I think your avitar will scare most other fish away.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    I have 2 aquariums and they are the hardest pictures that I've tried to take. My best results have come from taking them at night with all lights off except the tank and no flash. If you watch thier pattern you can usually anticipate some movements.

clarkisclown.gif
    Not a perfect one but it was handy.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    Win38-55 wrote:
    I think your avitar will scare most other fish away.ne_nau.gif
    I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.

:D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.

:D
    My fish wouldn't even make an appetizer! It would be like a fly on your dorsal.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    Bikehiker, SWEET setup! I spy with my little eye one..no, TWO Clarkii clowns (you've got yourself a mated pair there, doncha?) hosting in what appears to be a... a Sarcophyton? Or is that a Ricordea? The tail of a mandarin goby (how's it doing in that setup? Staying nice & fat?), and some sweet lookin' coralline algae growth.

For great shots, tips, techniques, et al information, try the Photography Corner over on http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2. You know, we have contests where the winners can win stuff from many of our advertisers. Unfortunately Inland is going out of business.

I'd love to hear more about your setup, too! It seems we may have a few fishkeepers here, eh?
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    Oh yeah, FYI for you folks, did you know that for the most part sharks are actually the big pussies of the sea? What'll really give you a run for your money are fishes like (believe it or not) those clownfish Bikehiker's got, puffers, triggers, and some snappers. On one of my dives off Laguna here a fat Garibaldi actually grabbed my mask and flooded me! Damned damsels.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    april wrote:

Hi April... Welcome to the forum. Nice folks here and lots of fun. Puffy is nice.. was he posing for that one??
    Lots of newbies in this forum so don't be afraid to post like mad.
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    Hi TJAmy, Welcome to the site!! I was really nervous about posting stuff at first but everyone is really nice (most of the time) and the comments are usually very helpful. Post bad stuff too and get ideas on how to improve it. If you post large scenes and invite people to crop them there will be a frenzy to produce the best crop..Everyone here started at the beginning so I'll look forward to seeing your digital shots.
    Lynnthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi TJAmy, Welcome to the site!! I was really nervous about posting stuff at first but everyone is really nice (most of the time) and the comments are usually very helpful. Post bad stuff too and get ideas on how to improve it. If you post large scenes and invite people to crop them there will be a frenzy to produce the best crop..Everyone here started at the beginning so I'll look forward to seeing your digital shots.
    Lynnthumb.gif
    Thanks for the nice welcome! I am looking forward to doing the assignments. I was trying to upload some pictures but with no luck. When I go to "Manage My Attachments" and then I find the picture and click "Upload" it just sits there. "Uploading pictures, please wait". I haven't given it 100%, but maybe my pictures are too big! Any suggestions? This digital world is all new to me. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    Thanks for the nice welcome! I am looking forward to doing the assignments. I was trying to upload some pictures but with no luck. When I go to "Manage My Attachments" and then I find the picture and click "Upload" it just sits there. "Uploading pictures, please wait". I haven't given it 100%, but maybe my pictures are too big! Any suggestions? This digital world is all new to me. eek7.gif
    Yes it sounds like they might be... what program do you edit your photos in? you need to "save them for the web". Let me know I might be able to help you on this one.
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Yes it sounds like they might be... what program do you edit your photos in? you need to "save them for the web". Let me know I might be able to help you on this one.
    Lynn
    These particular photos I downloaded them off my camera on to the computer with the software that came with my camera. The Sony f828, called imagemixer. I then moved them, and saved them into "My Photos" in Windows ME. I could easily find them to upload them but it just sat there. I know that I saved them as 5 megs in the camera but did not ever change the size.

I could really use some help! I'll try to attach a picture now. NO Luck
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Oh yeah, FYI for you folks, did you know that for the most part sharks are actually the big pussies of the sea? What'll really give you a run for your money are fishes like (believe it or not) those clownfish Bikehiker's got, puffers, triggers, and some snappers. On one of my dives off Laguna here a fat Garibaldi actually grabbed my mask and flooded me! Damned damsels.
    This is very true, the Clarkii you see is the king of his ocean! and yes that is a Manderin Goby in the background. Good eyes! You know you marine life. He's been in for about 8 months and doing just fine, I had wanted one from the start of that tank but as I'm sure you know I have no way to feed him only mother nature can so I waited better than a year to make sure he would stay healthy. He is my favorite to watch. I'll search through and post a few photos when I have a little more time later. Got some running to do this morning.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    These particular photos I downloaded them off my camera on to the computer with the software that came with my camera. The Sony f828, called imagemixer. I then moved them, and saved them into "My Photos" in Windows ME. I could easily find them to upload them but it just sat there. I know that I saved them as 5 megs in the camera but did not ever change the size.

I could really use some help! I'll try to attach a picture now. NO Luck
    I'm fairly new here, and could be wrong but I believe the only way to post is to have your photos on the web already and supply a link. That is how I've done mine. I keep a web page just for the purpose of experimenting and learning in my spare time and I post from there or most here belong to smugmug.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    Here are a couple of photos of my marine aquarium

This was the original 55gal setup
    originalsetup.jpg

This was after the move in 36gal

2ndsetup.jpg

This is most recent
    currentsetup.jpg

This one wasn't the best photo but it is one of my favorites. (Is it safe?)

isitsafe.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    bikehiker wrote:
    I'm fairly new here, and could be wrong but I believe the only way to post is to have your photos on the web already and supply a link. That is how I've done mine. I keep a web page just for the purpose of experimenting and learning in my spare time and I post from there or most here belong to smugmug.

Actually, she's trying the right thing. You can also attach your photos. But there is a size limit on attachments, because they eat up a lot of bandwidth.

Lynn's right about that.

TJAmy, you'll need to find a way to resize your pics if you want to attach them. Overall, you have two options.

1- Download a free program that will let you resize your shots, so that you can attach them. Like IRFAN.

2- Get an inexpensive account at a place like www.smugmug.com, make some nice galleries of your shots there, and then link to them here.

For anyone who hasn't read it, here's a "how to' for posting pics here.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    posting pixels
    wxwax wrote:
    Actually, she's trying the right thing. You can also attach your photos. But there is a size limit on attachments, because they eat up a lot of bandwidth.

Lynn's right about that.

TJAmy, you'll need to find a way to resize your pics if you want to attach them. Overall, you have two options.

1- Download a free program that will let you resize your shots, so that you can attach them. Like IRFAN.

2- Get an inexpensive account at a place like www.smugmug.com, make some nice galleries of your shots there, and then link to them here.

For anyone who hasn't read it, here's a "how to' for posting pics here.
    Thanks for the help everyone. I did finally resize a picture and it did upload as an attachment. It wasn't the picture I wanted to post originally but at least I can do it now. Thanks again, I really enjoy this site!!
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    BH, not bad at all! Do you have a refugium set up there, perchance? If you're interested in refugia, check out wetwebmedia (just use our Google bar and search "refugium") - it'll be a POD-O-RAMA once it gets going.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery