Options

Help needed please....

L--TL--T Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I need a PC (not Mac) approx 15" screen,(max) for photo-work. Tough but fast.
What specifications do I need & can anyone, from first or secondhand experience, recommend models, or advise which to avoid?

I enjoy stretching my Nikon DSLR's to the limit, but working on my laptop with the results is something I've never really enjoyed. Just don't like sitting down at a computer I guess.
I'm using a slow old-ish Sony notebook & am out of touch with what specifications I need.
For example. I've been told that Panasonic Toughbooks are strong but slower than many other makes...true?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    I've used many laptops Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Gateway, Fuji, etc... (though not the Panasonic ToughBook). I still like my ThinkPad best. I think quality has gone down very slightly since being acquired by Lenovo, but they are still solid (and expensive).

ThinkPad T Series [lenovo.com]

The T Series is a good balance between portability and size.
    Chris
  • Options
    L--TL--T Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2007
    Cheers Chris.
    What specifications equal "fast?"

Is anyone else happy & impressed enough with the performance of their notebook to recommend it?
    Thanks.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    L--T wrote:
    Cheers Chris.
    What specifications equal "fast?"

I would go with the 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo T7500. That seems to be the sweet spot price wise right now. With Photoshop, it helps to get the most memory you can afford. Windows XP (32-bit) can only address 3 gig, but to get the best performance from DDR memory, the chips need to match... so getting 4 Gig RAM as 2 x 2 Gig modules is best.

For Photoshop, any video card will suffice nowadays... Just make sure it doesn't use Shared Memory. I would also recommend a 7200 RPM hard disk.

Just a wish list, obviously you have to adjust based on budget. Those recomendations are for any system, not just a ThinkPad.
    Chris
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited December 1, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I've used many laptops Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Gateway, Fuji, etc... (though not the Panasonic ToughBook). I still like my ThinkPad best. I think quality has gone down very slightly since being acquired by Lenovo, but they are still solid (and expensive).

ThinkPad T Series [lenovo.com]

The T Series is a good balance between portability and size.
    We have deployed IBM/Lenovo laptops for some time. There are a variety of
    problems we see. Batteries don't last long in some instances and very frequently,
    you'll lose half the memory. Requires pulling the memory and re-seating it.
    There have been a few times a machine has to be sent back to fix the memory
    problem.

I think we noticed the change with the deployment of T42 and successive
    models. My T30 is still going strong though.

I don't know that any of these problems is better or worse than some of the
    major mfg'ers of laptops and I will say that overall, the IBM line has been
    good to work with.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I am using a T60 series Lenovo at work, and I am a power user for stuff other than photography. I am really happy with it. The issues that Ian points out I had problem with on my T42 and no problems with my T60.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I think we noticed the change with the deployment of T42 and successive models. My T30 is still going strong though.
    I must admit my direct experience skips from the T41P to the T60. The T41P is still my everyday work computer, and I've never even had to re-install the OS (knock on silicon). The T60 feels just a hair cheaper in build quality, but still haven't experienced any issues with it.

At least Lenovo finally added a Windows key! I can't live without some of those shortcuts anymore.
    Chris