Options

DxO version 5

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited November 30, 2007 in Finishing School
W A P O S !

226177317-O.jpg

Trial software won't even start on my XP box.

Yes...install...uninstall...etc............

Comments

• Options
    MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    The trial version I downloaded a few weeks ago, showed up with a virus after I updated my anti-virus!!
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    It appears that DxO has made that fatal mistake that software companies have to constantly guard against, they implemented version 5 too soon. Clearly their decision to not beta test has come back to haunt them.

I have been following the problems of other on the DxO forum with some interest. I upgraded from 4.5.6 to 5.0 and have not had any 'problems' (no stand alone problems nor problems calling Optics Pro from Lightroom). Yes version 5 is slow to open and slow to process images (as were all the previous versions!) but I mean I have not had any crashes what so ever.

I see others on the forum that say the same thing but clearly we are a small minority.

This is why Beta testing is so necessary in this day an age. Look how long Adobe Beta tested Lightroom.

I hope they can get the majority of the problems corrected quickly as the product is very good, when it works. But their reputation is getting severely tarnished right now.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    I upgraded from 4.5.6 to 5.0 and have not had any 'problems'

Standard or Elite?

Mine is the elite version.

The automatic corrections is the best out there IMO.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Standard or Elite?

Mine is the elite version.

The automatic corrections is the best out there IMO.

Standard. It seems that folks with both versions have been having problems.

I agree about the corrections.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    You're not alone.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    [quote=
    Harryb
    ]You're not alone.[/quote]

Seems like this type of behavior by software vendors is becoming the norm rather than the exception. Maybe it was made in China too...I haven't checked for lead or hallucinatory drugs yet.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Seems like this type of behavior by software vendors is becoming the norm rather than the exception. Maybe it was made in China too...I haven't checked for lead or hallucinatory drugs yet.

I'd love to know when it was the exception. headscratch.gif I've worked in the the software consulting field for years and it amazes that software companies can legally get away with putting junk out for clients. It doesn't matter if it was developed by a small company or a major industry player. Can you imagine if Oster sold toasters that only toasted bread a portion of the time? Or maytag sold a washer that required a restart on every 3rd load? The big eye opener was when I was working for a healthcare software provider many years ago and the CEO explicitly stated that once we get the sale of a custom app, we were to pull the A team out of the client site and send them to the next mark. No one seems to question why we have software that can control airplanes and the space shuttle with few errors but a simpler desktop application crashes performing routine functions.

Sorry for the rant... This just happened to hit at the same time that I am managing the implementation of a vendor software package that crashes whenever you look at the screen. $300,000 well spent by my client.

As for the DxO issues... I don't own a copy although I was thinking about purchasing it in the near future. It will help on the trouble shooting if you post some information about your setup such as operating system, service packs installed, RAM, hard drive space, processor, other applications installed, etc. I admit that I am not a technical expert but it will help those that are in determining the issue.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    It will help on the trouble shooting if you post some information about your setup such as operating system, service packs installed, RAM, hard drive space, processor, other applications installed, etc. I admit that I am not a technical expert but it will help those that are in determining the issue.

My one year old Dell XPS far exceeds DxO's stated minimum requirements for the app...I am not the least bit interested in troubleshooting. For $300 they can do that.:D

After reading posts on DxO's forum (it's a hellstorm), I'm adopting the wait and see attitude. I feel sorry for folks that NEED this program for their work.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    OK...I installed 5.0.2 and it's working.

Nice UI and very easy to understand. Processing is slow...but that's made up for by no need for individual hands on processing of images (unless you really want to).

I can easily see the value for the working photog. A real time saver. (you can hit the process button and go to bed for the night)

Can't say anything about reliability...need more experience to comment.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    Has anyone tried version 5.0.2 yet? Or read DxO's explanation about the cause of the problem?

Their explanation seems reasonable but it they had beta tested it would have been caught then one would expect.

I have not upgraded to 5.0.2 yet as I had not had the time, maybe this weekend and was wondering if anyone else had.