Kimberly' Head Shot...

D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited November 30, 2007 in People
kimberly.jpg

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Lots to like
    Really nice light. It's got an exciting feel to it. It looks a bit "harsh" though, and she looks like she fell asleep upder a sun lamp. If 'twere my image, I'd dial it back a tad, and cool down the skin.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Really nice light. It's got an exciting feel to it. It looks a bit "harsh" though, and she looks like she fell asleep upder a sun lamp. If 'twere my image, I'd dial it back a tad, and cool down the skin.
    kimberly2.jpg How's this , I see what you mean and on my computer screen before I uploaded it to DG it did not look so harsh.... Thanks, my learning of photoshop goes on and on.....
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    I can't put my finger on it but there's something not 'right' about this image. The pose and subject are fine-- but did you remove a shadow on her face in post? For example, there are two hints of shadows on each side of her nose, and a strange 'catchlight' type thing in each eye (left side of each eye) like a reflector or foam core toned down in the eye? headscratch.gif

Normally, with a single catchlight you can see a shadow (for example beauty lighting leaves a nice little butterfly shadow under the nose) but here I don't see anything. You're not shooting with a ringflash... so I'm struggling to figure out why no shadows. Straight on camera flash? Shadows add depth and can really accent the cheekbones, so they're not always a bad thing.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    It looks like shadow/highlights adjustments were made, much of shadows for that matter. I do like lighting on this, but i think skin tones can be improved. You can make this a really beautiful portrait if do a little work.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited November 27, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    I can't put my finger on it but there's something not 'right' about this image. The pose and subject are fine-- but did you remove a shadow on her face in post? For example, there are two hints of shadows on each side of her nose, and a strange 'catchlight' type thing in each eye (left side of each eye) like a reflector or foam core toned down in the eye? headscratch.gif

Normally, with a single catchlight you can see a shadow (for example beauty lighting leaves a nice little butterfly shadow under the nose) but here I don't see anything. You're not shooting with a ringflash... so I'm struggling to figure out why no shadows. Straight on camera flash? Shadows add depth and can really accent the cheekbones, so they're not always a bad thing.
    The strobe was in my right ear basically , so yes on camera strobe. I agree shawdows can add a good dimension but , I felt with the high key background it would define her well enough overall. So the old thomas strobe in my right ear... No photoshop except to reduce the image in the first photo... I do have other examples such as you speak and will process them later for you critique. Thanks for taking the time to comment... All comments are welcome as I am learning Photoshop so if you can help please do... This was shot on film ( Ectachrome 2 1/4 ) and scanned, I forgot to say that sorry....
    edited November 30, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    It looks like shadow/highlights adjustments were made, much of shadows for that matter. I do like lighting on this, but i think skin tones can be improved. You can make this a really beautiful portrait if do a little work.
    ]I do not mean to bring an old item back up but , I tried again to make it look like the original. kimberly2BB.jpg