LPS17 Opinions

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited November 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Jack Splat

Does this say "decay" in an artsy way? Honest C&C please!
226251826-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    ...and it is...? Bread? Flesh of some sort? Fungi? I know that as soon as I know I will go "Oh, yeah! Thats good!" I definitely keep going back to it. The B/W treatment is pleasing. Whatever it is, the lack of moisture has certainly caused some withering. I do like it in an abstract way, and I think it fits theme. Hope that helps.
    Growing with Dgrin

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Oh! I just figured it out! It's a decaying "jack" o'lantern, right? rolleyes1.gif It did take me a minute. Now that I see it it's very clear, but I wonder if you could tweak the conversion somehow to make it jump out even more? Nice one!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Emily, I have one of those decaying in my yard right now! I'd like to see it in color!

Mine is so gross I don't dare show pictures of it.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Having started looking at this image before reading the title, it took me a good 30 seconds to realize what it was. I was thinking it was some sort of mushroom or plant life out in the woods.. I think that by turning it to b&w, you've taken away the color of decay that the pumpkin would have a month after the day, so the impact of "decay" is lessened to me.

Added content: funny how we all said basically the same thing! How helpful we all are!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Having started looking at this image before reading the title, it took me a good 30 seconds to realize what it was. I was thinking it was some sort of mushroom or plant life out in the woods.. I think that by turning it to b&w, you've taken away the color of decay that the pumpkin would have a month after the day, so the impact of "decay" is lessened to me.

Me too!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    OMG! See, now I see it! Cool.

PS: I guess I should pay more attention to titles!
    Growing with Dgrin

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    nice shot but it needs color.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    nice shot but it needs color.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Ok guys, thanks. I'll play with a color version and repost.
    Emily

edited November 27, 2007
    Two color versions:

226245707-L.jpg

226273949-L.jpg
    Emily

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    I like the #2 color version but I also dig the b/w as well. Of course, I initially thought the b/w was a dead crab.... wait, don't anyone take that... it gives me an idea to go searching for a dead crab. Yep people are going to think that I am officially nuts. But back to Emily's photos :D The reason that the #1 color doesn't appeal to me is that I don't associate the saturation with decay. Okay, now I get to go on the great dead, decaying crab hunt. whooohoooooo!!!!!!

~please excuse the mad ramblings of a perpetual LPS casualty. we think that he has finally snapped~

wings.gifbarbwings.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    i was scared for a moment to find out what i was looking at...lol
    then i realized what it was.
    so i guess once you know what it is then yes it spells decay
    Aaron Nelson
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    the #1 color is mucho nice
    Aaron Nelson
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Emily, no offense, but I was really trying to figure out what it was, then I decided to read...sorry.

Then I came across the colored version...so I guess it says decay, that really is nasty, and I bet cuz it is pumpkin it must be soft and quishy...Ewwwwwww....Laughing.gifLaughing.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Yes!
    #1 color....very good...really hits the theme....great light & comp.....I really like it...although "decay" isn't exactly the most beautiful thing...certainly not for the wall..but guess that's Shay's concept in the whole LPS thing anyway.

Very good!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    The B&W version is scary! I saw the face first and figured out what it was after the fact. One thing that might be worth trying is a desaturated version of #2. You might even layer #2 over the B&W with a color blend and adjust the opacity to add just a hint of color. No warranties on that idea, but it might preserve the more abstract nature of the B&W while providing a reminder that it was a pumpkin in the orange tint.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    It's interesting but not quite there. It lacks punch and doesn't grab me other than to say, "icky." Can't wait to see what you come up with.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Love the title! I agree that color will help with identification of poor ol Jack. Great idea if you can get the viewer to recognize it quickly.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The B&W version is scary! I saw the face first and figured out what it was after the fact. One thing that might be worth trying is a desaturated version of #2. You might even layer #2 over the B&W with a color blend and adjust the opacity to add just a hint of color. No warranties on that idea, but it might preserve the more abstract nature of the B&W while providing a reminder that it was a pumpkin in the orange tint.

LiquidAir's suggestion sounds like a good idea to me. It would keep the artsy feel to the photo while making it more instantly recognizable for what it is. Whatever you do, the photograph definietly screams "decay!" I'll bet there is a gallery somewhere that would hang it and probably some folks who would buy it, too. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Looks like a Tim Burton creation. As with the others, it took me a while to figure out the image, but now I can't help but see it.

I'd agree that a colour version would be better.

Matthew
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    ~please excuse the mad ramblings of a perpetual LPS casualty. we think that he has finally snapped~

wings.gifbarbwings.gif

hehe! rolleyes1.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    I would...
    try a color version in HDR....

Jon
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    HarleyPugs wrote:
    try a color version in HDR....

Jon
    15524779-Ti.gif (IMO would give it more depth and definition)

travis wrote:

Laughing.gif @ JT, then we might be all your CRAZY assistants...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited November 28, 2007
    HDR? Could be neat, but unfortunately a reshoot is not possible. We got a good frost last night and this morning Jack is naught but mush.rolleyes1.gif

I'm having fun playing with several versions. I'll likely put them to a vote when done. Any other cool pp suggestions?
    Emily

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    HDR? Could be neat, but unfortunately a reshoot is not possible. We got a good frost last night and this morning Jack is naught but mush.rolleyes1.gif

I'm having fun playing with several versions. I'll likely put them to a vote when done. Any other cool pp suggestions?

there is always selective coloring
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited November 28, 2007
    there is always selective coloring

HA! And get slaughtered by the selective coloring nazis? Not on your nelly!
    Emily

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007

How about a little of this? rolleyes1.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    How about a little of this? rolleyes1.gif

OMG, that is too funny but isn't that like the anti-decay? :D
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Good Eye
    Two color versions:

Emily,

Like others, I was unable to decipher the B&W.

Of these 2, I like the 1st one...

As usual, your eye provides me with views my eye does not normally seem to see.
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]