Options

Lightroom date editing question

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited November 28, 2007 in Finishing School
I've got a pano which, when created, has no EXIF info. I brought the file into Lightroom and used the Edit Capture Time command from the Metadata menu and gave the photo a capture time. The info shows up in the Metadata section of LR. Problem is, once exported, the date doesn't make the EXIF headers in the exported JPG. Thus, my chronologically sorted gallery isn't sorted properly. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    I've got a pano which, when created, has no EXIF info. I brought the file into Lightroom and used the Edit Capture Time command from the Metadata menu and gave the photo a capture time. The info shows up in the Metadata section of LR. Problem is, once exported, the date doesn't make the EXIF headers in the exported JPG. Thus, my chronologically sorted gallery isn't sorted properly. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

You can use one of the EXIF editing tools to fix the JPEG directly. I've used Exifer for this exact job (fixing EXIF on a pano). What I did in that case was asked Exifer to grab the Exif data from one of the source images and apply it to the pano. ExifTool and ExifToolGUI is another option. All of these are free.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    You can use one of the EXIF editing tools to fix the JPEG directly. I've used Exifer for this exact job (fixing EXIF on a pano). What I did in that case was asked Exifer to grab the Exif data from one of the source images and apply it to the pano. ExifTool and ExifToolGUI is another option. All of these are free.

Thanks for the info. I've used Exifer with success in the past.

My main concern here is that the date modified in Lightroom is not making it into the EXIF of the exported image. Perhaps it's in another field SmugMug isn't parsing.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I've used Exifer with success in the past.

My main concern here is that the date modified in Lightroom is not making it into the EXIF of the exported image. Perhaps it's in another field SmugMug isn't parsing.

You should take a look with one of the EXIF tools to see if it's a Lightroom issue of the date not being in the file or of Smugmug not seeing what is in the file. You may also have to set some of the other EXIF fields for Smugmug to be happy as the various date fields are a bit confusing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question