More Hockey.. youth tournament

cornerstonecornerstone Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited November 30, 2007 in Sports
I'm still a newb at shooting hockey, but I just finished (actually last day images are still loading :) ) my second year doing a local tournament.

Please feel free to take a look and critique. the images are just sent up straight with no retouching or anything, so I know there are a number (ok alot!) of bad shots, but hopefully enough good ones along the way.

There are 2 rinks at this location and both always have a game going on, so it was a very busy and long weekend. I'm set up with a 24" Acer 1900x1200 monitor that I run slide shows from a laptop of the last game shot (I download on my way to the other rink).

The 2 rinks have a bit of difference in lighting, so I settled with manual settings of 1/320 @ f2.8 on the one rink and 1/400 @ f4 on the other (guess which rink I like better!) both at 1600 ISO.

For equipment I have a Canon 30D, 70-200 2.8 and 17-55 2.8 IS, (shorter lens basically only used at end of Championship games when I can go on the ice and get close and take team photos) I stick the 70-200 on a monopod, no head just straight.

Any pictures ordered I run through Neat Image to filter out 1600 ISO noise and then make any WB, USM cropping and other adjustments. (3 day delay is a life saver :) )

Please take a look, there's really only the 2 tournaments on the site besides some playing around.

http://cornerstoneawards.smugmug.com/

And when everything finally uploads you can check out the trophies in some of the Championship games, I made those too :) . Also please feel free to comment on the site..I just redid it and would appreciate any advise.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    G'day cornerstone. Nice photos...i liked them. Im not one to be giving tech advice on peoples sites however i did have some issues with mousing right from 'sports' across to 'wishbone' The word wishbone (both of them) kept disappearing on me.
  • cornerstonecornerstone Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    gus wrote:
    G'day cornerstone. Nice photos...i liked them. Im not one to be giving tech advice on peoples sites however i did have some issues with mousing right from 'sports' across to 'wishbone' The word wishbone (both of them) kept disappearing on me.

thanks gus, I'm not overly happy with the drop down menu, but don't know what to do to make it any better.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 30, 2007
    Ah the mites. They're a fun bunch to referee.

Nice photos too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • cornerstonecornerstone Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Ah the mites. They're a fun bunch to referee.

Nice photos too.

I love doing the Mites, but it is a major change of gears when the other rink has a Bantam game going.
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    I love doing the Mites, but it is a major change of gears when the other rink has a Bantam game going.
    You know what they say about Mites.
    They mite show up and they Mite not.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Good job... It looks like you were able to nail the expsoure SOC and with a little post, they'll really shine.

It's sad that I'm barely taller than some of the mites. eek7.gif

And they're probably already better than me. rolleyes1.gif