Street shots from Tokyo

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited November 29, 2007 in Street and Documentary
My attempt at a few street shots/portraits from a walk around Harajuku district and Yoyogi Park:

Goth girl (she reminds me a lot of myself at that age :lol3)
226193706-M-2.jpg

Cosplay girls
226188493-L-2.jpg

Regular kids
226115666-M-2.jpg

Most of the cosplay crowd have a signature pose for when a tourist asks to take their photo
226115523-M-2.jpg

Smoke break
226188708-L-2.jpg

Sketching
226188921-L-2.jpg

Love and AIDS
226189291-M-2.jpg

Hyper Kitty Hyper (they weren't bad, if you like that sort of stuff)
226189542-L-2.jpg

Rockabilly greasers
226189691-L-2.jpg

Comments

• MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    These are all great but I LOVE the first two.
    The colours of the soft drink with the outfit in the second one seem like it is part of the outfit
    And the eye is great in the first. I love the framing of the girl in the shot and the eye on the face.

The man sketching is very different from the rest. I like that he is "caught in the act". I also like that we can see what he is working on.

I am still really timid about taking pictures of people in public. I think I just need more practice.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Cool photos and chracters mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Thanks Awais and Moni! The goth girl was really quite striking and the imperfections of her lipstick really made me sympathize with her.

I was very pleased to see the old men (there were two) sketching at the park in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Maybe it's where I live but you almost never see anything like that around here. A ways back in the water fountain there was another old man fishing for guppies with a twig. :D

I am terrfiied about taking street photos, too. I get very shy and embarrassed when I take the photo and they look right at me - then I pretend to be photographing whatever it is they're standing in front of. lol3.gif
  • jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Great photos. I love the streetlife in Tokyo, many people who haven't been there has this impression that Tokyo is little more than Salarymen, when this couldn't be further from the truth. Your photos provide great evidence of this.
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Very nice madame. My hat is off to you. Such an interesting culture. I always find it interesting that while so many american teens want to be like japanese teens that japanese teens try and americanize themselves. Very odd mix. The goth girl is kinda scary looking. I couldnt see you dressed like that.... :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
    edited November 28, 2007
    jcp, I have to say that yes the vast majority of Tokyo were people in suits and I tried to photograph them but by golly out of 4 days I have almost nothing to show. headscratch.gif

Oh I forgot, I did take this one of my husband trying to get street shots by a metro station. Pretty typical I guess! Suits blurred by motion.

225032541-M-2.jpg

Dean - you bring up a good point! Yes I have a ton of friends who would like nothing more than to be in Japan and do the Japanese underground culture thing but over there they do a lot to incorporate Western looks and phrases. It's kind of frustrating when the only things I can read are the Japanified English slogans on clothing and product labels... because it makes NO sense whatsoever! lol3.gif

(I'll not post my old blackmail photos, then....)
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Great shots! I especially like the Goth girl and Sketching. You definitely captured the feel of the place.
    Chris
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Great pics Schmoo! thumb.gif Pretty typical scenes here and you caught them all very well! Those rockabillies are great aren't they? Did you sit and watch for a bit? Was there a group of them?

I do the same thing when caught in the act photographing someone - pretend to be photographing something nearby! rolleyes1.gif
  • ob81ob81 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Great shots!! I must go up to Tokyo and get some shots of my own!
    ob81.com
    Canon XTi

I don't want to take regular photos!
    edited November 29, 2007
    Heheh yes there were about 6 rockabilly dudes but they wouldn't dance in front of neat backgrounds so all of my photos are pretty bad. :giggle There were two separate groups right next to each other. Their competing music was very much like dueling banjos!

I looked on Wikipedia and there's a photo from years ago about them up there... the same guy is still dancing! I noticed they were definitely not young, but it's awesome that they are getting to do something they really love.

Here's one of the guys from the Rockabilly club walking past us while we were enjoying breakfast at a cafe. I didn't realize until I'd downloaded my photos and got a closer look that this was one of them!

226115082-M-2.jpg

Definitely get some street shots if you can. I knew Tokyo would be The Place for it because of the concentration and unique variety of faces and fashion. thumb.gif