Options

Merging vs. flattening

Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited November 28, 2007 in Finishing School
what's the difference between going to layers->merge or layers->flatten? I get the same effect using either.

Also, is there any way to sharpen in LAB mode without having to lose all your layers (IE having to flatten or merge them into one)?

Thanks a ton,

Izzy

Comments

• Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Flatten merges all the layers in the pallette, while merge merges layers
    based on which merge method you choose. For example, merge visible merges
    all the layers which are visible (have the eyeball on). Flatten also discards all
    the layers leaving only the flattened one as the new Background layer, while
    merge creates a new merged layer on top of all the already present layers[*].

* Or, more accurately, above the currently selected layer.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    To add to that, with Merge you can merge selected layers, so if you have 13 layers and you select layers 1, 4-7, 10, and 12, you can merge just those and the rest are left alone in their original order.

Merge won't create a Background layer if there isn't one already, even if you Merge Visible or merge all selected. Flatten always results in one Background layer, no matter how many layers were there before or even if there wasn't a Background layer before. You get no choices, Flatten is all or nothing.

Another way to understand the above is, Merge lets you preserve transparency while Flatten always removes all transparency (thus the single Background layer).
    Also, is there any way to sharpen in LAB mode without having to lose all your layers (IE having to flatten or merge them into one)?

The usual advice here is don't go into Lab mode. Instead, apply Sharpen and then fade using Luminosity for an effect that's approximately the same as sharpening in Lab. If you are trying to do it to a bunch of layers together without losing them, turn the layers into a Smart Object and apply sharpening as a Smart Filter (this is in CS3 only) and then set the Smart Filter to Luminosity.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    excellent info. thanks a ton. When I use merge I still get only one background layer. So if I have my color correction layer, a general exoposure layer, a subject exposure layer, hue/sat whatever, and I merge, then go into Lab and sharpen the luminosity layer, how can i go back and get all those layers? I still end up with a single background layer

I use CS3

Thanks again for the quick reply :D
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    the thing is, I'd like to save my photos with all the layers, ready to go. that includes sharpened. Currently I have to merge them or flatten them all before sharpening, then save the sharpened image without any of the layers
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    excellent info. thanks a ton. When I use merge I still get only one background layer. So if I have my color correction layer, a general exoposure layer, a subject exposure layer, hue/sat whatever, and I merge, then go into Lab and sharpen the luminosity layer, how can i go back and get all those layers? I still end up with a single background layer

I use CS3

Thanks again for the quick reply :D

You often can't take layers with any sort of curve or blend mode in them between different image modes (sRGB to LAB, for example). You have to flatten before changing modes or it will flatten for you or it will keep the layers, but their effect will get messed up. This is because not all operations are supported in all image modes and not all operations have the same effect in different image modes.

When I have a heavily layered document that I've invested a lot of time in and then I decide I need to go to LAB, what I do is I make a duplicate of the layered document, flatten that. Take that to LAB, do my LAB operations, flatten, convert back to sRGB, then copy to the clipboard and paste it in as a new layer on top of all my other layers. The other layers will no longer be active because they've been superceded by this new layer that came from LAB, but they are still there if you have to go back and make changes, you can just redo the LAB adjustments without having to redo everything else.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Dude, $. why hadn't i thought of that headscratch.gif :bash Thanks a ton
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    To add to that, with Merge you can merge selected layers, so if you have 13 layers and you select layers 1, 4-7, 10, and 12, you can merge just those and the rest are left alone in their original order.

Merge won't create a Background layer if there isn't one already, even if you Merge Visible or merge all selected. Flatten always results in one Background layer, no matter how many layers were there before or even if there wasn't a Background layer before. You get no choices, Flatten is all or nothing.

Another way to understand the above is, Merge lets you preserve transparency while Flatten always removes all transparency (thus the single Background layer).

The usual advice here is don't go into Lab mode. Instead, apply Sharpen and then fade using Luminosity for an effect that's approximately the same as sharpening in Lab. If you are trying to do it to a bunch of layers together without losing them, turn the layers into a Smart Object and apply sharpening as a Smart Filter (this is in CS3 only) and then set the Smart Filter to Luminosity.
    Great stuff CB. Thanks.

-Jon