7% 3 votes
One Eyed Jack
50% 19 votes
Death of a Friendship
10% 4 votes

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I voted for Jack Splat Color... but I see you entered One-Eyed Jack in full color. thumb.gif
    Chris
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I voted for Jack Splat Color... but I see you entered One-Eyed Jack in full color. thumb.gif

It's not a done deal yet!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I voted for 1-eyed jack. The rot around the top of the pumpkin made it (not to mention is pretty foul! :D).
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Reshoot one eyed jack with the good eye falling squarely in the rule of thirds intersection point for that area of the frame. The current crop that you entered, IMHO, is way too tight and the good eye isn't in a power point...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I prefer the state of decomposition on One-Eyed Jack--I love the expression it gives the pumpkin! :D I wonder how it would look with the less harsh lighting you have in Jack Splat (Color). Right now it seems a smidge too hot on the right.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    You know what would be really cool? To get some sort of glowing light coming from inside Jack... a green light might look radioactive??? :D

You'd still need light from the outside to show dimension and what Jack looks like, but a weird glowing light coming from inside would be interesting if you can pull it off.

Maybe expose for the inner light, and then use a flashlight or other light to paint the outside of Jack. May as well have some fun with this... :D
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I voted for number 5 as I had no idea with the others were, until after I read the thread. Not coming from a certain culture makes a lot of difference when viewing images which use familiar objects for that culture as their main subject. They're all good images, just thought it was interesting and so offer some foreign insight :-)

As most of the judges seem to be based in the US they will not suffer the same problem I did.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Well, Emily, of the bunch, I'd go for one-eyed jack. When I first saw it in the entry thread, I said to myself, "this is not her best work, but it has possibilities"

I like Dee's idea of some sort of inner glow. I also keep wanting to see the mid and light tones significantly darker to add a sense of mystery . . . something you could play with.

Or perhaps something else altogether, one of your special creations!

Blessings,
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

edited December 4, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Well, Emily, of the bunch, I'd go for one-eyed jack. When I first saw it in the entry thread, I said to myself, "this is not her best work, but it has possibilities"

I like Dee's idea of some sort of inner glow. I also keep wanting to see the mid and light tones significantly darker to add a sense of mystery . . . something you could play with.

Or perhaps something else altogether, one of your special creations!

Blessings,
    Dane

Thanks for your honesty!
    Emily

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Hey Em, I realy like your 1-eyed Jack...Creative Composition with lots of potential.

IMO FWIW I feel as though it is lacking some punch, I don't know maybe some texture definition and depth/contrast to enhance the tones, perhaps enhancing the blk pts will bring it out.

Anywayz just my 2 cents fwiw, besides ya never know what the judges will like, and if your happy that is all that matters..

Good Luck with your entry.
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited December 4, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hey Em, I realy like your 1-eyed Jack...Creative Composition with lots of potential.

IMO FWIW I feel as though it is lacking some punch, I don't know maybe some texture definition and depth/contrast to enhance the tones, perhaps enhancing the blk pts will bring it out.

Anywayz just my 2 cents fwiw, besides ya never know what the judges will like, and if your happy that is all that matters..

Good Luck with your entry.
    Donna

Hi Donna,

Thanks. My entry in the entry thread is actually a little different to the One-Eyed Jack in this thread. It's clearer and really shows texture in the moldy area, and I think the contrast is much better too. I'm pretty happy with it actually, so thanks for the input!

Emily
    Emily

• ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I love the one eyed jack that you have entered...it makes me smile everytime. He just seems to have a smirk on his rotting face.

As a side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one that forgets to water their bamboorolleyes1.gif
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I think the pumpkin ones are fun, but I think the last one is truly artistic. Often the images that win are not the most artistic, but are somehow funny or fun. I wish more won based on artistry.
    That being said, I think the last image is by far the strongest artistically, but, my gut feeling is the pumpkin one will likely get more votes. I like the last pumpkin one the best.