Anaheim Ducks Hockey Practice

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited December 3, 2007 in Sports
The Ducks were in town to play the Sharks and held a practice at Logitech Ice. I decided ditched a few meetings at work and gave up my lunch to watch them. To my surprise, the Sharks were on the other rink and I got to shoot them as well!. The Sharks lost the game in a shootout the next night when they played each other.

I spent this session shoting mostly with my 70-200 and then moved to my new 120-300, but I changed back to my 70-200 after a few frames. I'm currently undecided on that lens for hockey... the AF is just a tad slow for me, especially with professional athletics. :dunno Maybe it takes some practice...

1. I wished that I knew the Ducks by just their faces, but I don't know who he is, except that he looked very intense.
222544835-L-1.jpg

2. A new Duck: Brian Sutherby. I wished my fast start looked like that :rolleyes
222545344-L-1.jpg

3. George Parros. Mustache and long hair makes him easy to identify :wink Look at his edge! My skate is never like that! (maybe that's why I'm so slow)
222545843-L-1.jpg

4. I believe this is Todd Marchant... Perfect form (in my opinion)
222545909-L-1.jpg

5. Goalie (not Jiggy) and Travis Moen ready for the rebound
222546018-L-1.jpg

6. He better play defense! (but I think he does..)
222546481-L-1.jpg

I think the goalie is Bryzgalov, but I'm not 100%. I was too busy chatting with the person next to me and missed it when the goalie threw a fit (wacked the cross bars a few times, slammed stick against the ice until it broke). I later found out that Bryzgalov was placed on waviers that night... but I dont' know if that was him. He had a very wide stance (if that helps). Sigh... Lesson: don't talk when shooting sports -- you'll miss something.

To my eye, the white balance is correct for these captures. What do you think?

C&C welcomed. It helps me get better...

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Really like #3 - that's a nice capture - motion, the puck and good facial expression. Nice job!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Really like #3 - that's a nice capture - motion, the puck and good facial expression. Nice job!
    Thanks for looking.. I want all of my sports photos to have all those elements in every capture (motion, puck and facial expression), but alas, I can't tell the players to pose for me (one can wish mwink.gif).

I wish that I could say that it was skill, but in some ways, it was just luck. I was in a right place, with a bit of clean glass and he skated quickly towards me. Looking back, I was lucky to get that capture since he was skating so fast towards me! I have trouble with AF when a player heads my way at at really fast speeds. This is one shot that I couldn't take with my new nifty 120-300mm... just too slow.