Need advice regarding Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS lens

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited December 2, 2007 in Cameras
I'll start by saying that I can't believe I'm actually considering buying this lens but here goes...

Current gear: Canon 350D, 50mm f/1.8 mk I, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5 (oldie but goody). Mostly use the primes and mostly shoot photos of my kids. I have the original kit lens which I use for the occasional landscape shot stopped down to f/8. I've actually been impressed with the results considering its price but the resolution hasn't been spectacular.

I just saw this review over at photozone:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1855_3556is/index.htm
It looks like the updated 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS has much improved sharpness and 3 stop IS thus making for a wonderful step-up from my current kit lens for under $200.

Has anyone done this move? Any thoughts on the quality of photos from the new kit lens? I do not plan on spending the money for the 17-55 f/2.8 and had considered the 10-22 but that still leaves some gaps in the range and costs a lot more.
Thanks for the input.
E

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    I don't know anything about that lens, but I have always been taught to buy good glass.

Have you considered the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8? It doesn't have the IS, but IS isn't necessary for everyone.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    I don't know anything about that lens, but I have always been taught to buy good glass.

Have you considered the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8? It doesn't have the IS, but IS isn't necessary for everyone.

Thanks for the reply. I had considered that lens in the past but it just didn't make sense with my style/lineup. It's not fast enough to take over for my primes in that range and, without IS, it's still too hard to handhold at f/5.6-f/8 for landscape shots.
    E
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    What about the 17-85 3.5-5.6 IS? I personally needed a faster wide angle zoom, but I always thought the build and image quality of this lens was wonderful for the price, and the extra reach was nice too! if only they made a 17-85 2.8 IS...........
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I had considered that lens in the past but it just didn't make sense with my style/lineup. It's not fast enough to take over for my primes in that range and, without IS, it's still too hard to handhold at f/5.6-f/8 for landscape shots.
    E
    What shutter speeds are you trying to hand hold? The IS helps a bit, but I find that it's not all that magically (maybe a stop or two at most). For longer exposure landscapes, I've learned that a tripod is my friend (and a very good friend at that!)

It's more expensive, but since you don't need the speed and want the range and IS, what do you think about the canon EF 17-85 IS? This is my walk-around lens and you should be able to find a used copy.
    edited November 28, 2007
    That's two votes for the 17-85...
    I had always heard mixed reviews on that one. Sharpness did not seem to be great - maybe slightly better than the original kit lens? Older IS that gives about 2 stops advantage. Also, it's $500 new (and likely 350-400 used) so above what I'm willing to spend.
    As far as handholding for landscape shots, i completely agree about using a good tripod and most of my good kit lens shots are from a tripod mounted 350d. That being said, if I can get sharp images at f/8 and 1/15 to 1/30th second, that would make for a very light and compact kit for early evening photos....
    E
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I just got it today. After reading the photozone and slrgear's reviews, I thought it was worth a try. For normal walking around, I use a 10-20, 20mm f1.8, a 50mm f1.8 lenses, a 50mm macro, or a lensbaby on two bodies.

I wanted a light and cheap walking around zoom so I can use a 400D as a point and shoot. I recently retried an old kit lens and was disappointed with the lens overall.

The new lens feels very similar but their is a new coating/spray on the barrel much like the L lens, the zoom ring feels nicer. The rest of the lens feels just as cheap though. The IS is very silent but works well. In terms of optics, I noticed that it's very sharp and there is less CA than the first generation of the kit lens. I haven't extensively shot with it, as I was working today and it was dark and raining today. I plan on shooting it tomorrow though. The AF is very quiet and fairly quick. Overall, it feels cheap but better than the old kit lens.

I'm using this lens on a 400D as my point and shoot, so considering I'm getting a 18-55 range with IS and pretty much excellent corner to corner sharpness pretty much at all apertures and focal lengths with a 4 stop IS for $179 from B&H that I can use in DPP to correct for barrel distortion, CA, and vignetting, I'd say this is the best bargain for a Canon dslr with a cropped sensor.

When I'm out shooting for fun, I'll leave the kit lens at home and stick to my primes. When I want a light camera for carrying around just in case. I'll use the new kit lens on a 400D sans a grip for the ease and convince.
    edited December 1, 2007
    Tee Why wrote:
    I just got it today. After reading the photozone and slrgear's reviews, I thought it was worth a try. For normal walking around, I use a 10-20, 20mm f1.8, a 50mm f1.8 lenses, a 50mm macro, or a lensbaby on two bodies.

I wanted a light and cheap walking around zoom so I can use a 400D as a point and shoot. I recently retried an old kit lens and was disappointed with the lens overall.

The new lens feels very similar but their is a new coating/spray on the barrel much like the L lens, the zoom ring feels nicer. The rest of the lens feels just as cheap though. The IS is very silent but works well. In terms of optics, I noticed that it's very sharp and there is less CA than the first generation of the kit lens. I haven't extensively shot with it, as I was working today and it was dark and raining today. I plan on shooting it tomorrow though. The AF is very quiet and fairly quick. Overall, it feels cheap but better than the old kit lens.

I'm using this lens on a 400D as my point and shoot, so considering I'm getting a 18-55 range with IS and pretty much excellent corner to corner sharpness pretty much at all apertures and focal lengths with a 4 stop IS for $179 from B&H that I can use in DPP to correct for barrel distortion, CA, and vignetting, I'd say this is the best bargain for a Canon dslr with a cropped sensor.

When I'm out shooting for fun, I'll leave the kit lens at home and stick to my primes. When I want a light camera for carrying around just in case. I'll use the new kit lens on a 400D sans a grip for the ease and convince.

Thanks for the review. Any thoughts on whether the contrast of the lens is any better. I know it's no 'L' but does it seem to offer better photos than the kit aside from the improved sharpness?
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Contrast seems very good to me.
    Here is my more formal review
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77783