Options

Framing without glass?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited November 29, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm not sure what forum to put this in, but I guess I'll try here...

I'm looking to put up a bunch of prints on a hallway wall in our home to make kind of a gallery. The idea is to keep the prints fairly recent so I'll be updating the prints every so often rather than looking for a long term fine art kind of presentation.

Because I'll have quite a number of prints/frames and I hate reflective glass and museum glass is ridiculously expensive, I'm wondering about framing them without any glass. Some family portraits we had done 8 years ago were framed that way and I kind of like it.

What do you all think of framing for this circumstance without glass? Good idea or bad idea?

Also, does anyone know if you need to get a particular type of frame that can hold the picture securely without the thickness of the glass being present?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Does the fotoflot style work for you? The way you were describing what you were looking for made me think of them. ne_nau.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Fotoflot is one of the companies in ClubSmug. You save 10%.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Does the fotoflot style work for you? The way you were describing what you were looking for made me think of them. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the idea, but that isn't the style I was planning on. It is without glass, but also without frame border. I was more interested in what people's experience has been with pictures in regular frames, but without glass.

I also plan on printing my own images so I'm not interested in ordering from anyone like fotoflot. I was surprised how expensive fotoflot was and that they only offer two sizes in the 3:2 aspect ratio: $70 for a 10 x 15, $150 for a 15 x 22.5.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm not sure what forum to put this in, but I guess I'll try here...

I'm looking to put up a bunch of prints on a hallway wall in our home to make kind of a gallery. The idea is to keep the prints fairly recent so I'll be updating the prints every so often rather than looking for a long term fine art kind of presentation.

Because I'll have quite a number of prints/frames and I hate reflective glass and museum glass is ridiculously expensive, I'm wondering about framing them without any glass. Some family portraits we had done 8 years ago were framed that way and I kind of like it.

What do you all think of framing for this circumstance without glass? Good idea or bad idea?

Also, does anyone know if you need to get a particular type of frame that can hold the picture securely without the thickness of the glass being present?

to try and actually answer your question....if you buy your frame with galss and remove it...then there is a prob ......but if you mat the photo you fix the prob....or have custom frames made ......if you do not want to mat the prints then add extra card board behind to take up space but No matter what I highly recommend mounting the prints so they don't bulge out of da frame.....I have done prints in thisfashion cause I am too cheap to purchase custom frames...so I mount and add extra cardbord (poster board) behind.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Thanks for the idea, but that isn't the style I was planning on. It is without glass, but also without frame border. I was more interested in what people's experience has been with pictures in regular frames, but without glass.

I also plan on printing my own images so I'm not interested in ordering from anyone like fotoflot. I was surprised how expensive fotoflot was and that they only offer two sizes in the 3:2 aspect ratio: $70 for a 10 x 15, $150 for a 15 x 22.5.

I would be concerned about the lack of protection. Doesn't glass slow the deterioration process? Not to mention protection from dust. Maybe if you rotate the selection often enough this won't matter.

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but a nicely framed photo makes all the difference in the world. Seeing it in a computer screen is one thing, but to have and to hold a matted framed print - wow, it becomes a treasure. To me, a framed photo without glass would somehow seem unfinished, or vulnerable or something.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    sara505 wrote:
    I would be concerned about the lack of protection. Doesn't glass slow the deterioration process? Not to mention protection from dust. Maybe if you rotate the selection often enough this won't matter.

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but a nicely framed photo makes all the difference in the world. Seeing it in a computer screen is one thing, but to have and to hold a matted framed print - wow, it becomes a treasure. To me, a framed photo without glass would somehow seem unfinished, or vulnerable or something.

Certainly if you want the ultimate in protection, you should use glass, but this is an interior hallway (no direct sun/UV), I could reprint anything that had to be replaced if something did happen and I really like the look of no glass. All glass, even the super-expensive museum glass takes something away from the photo display. There are also some protective sprays that can give you some level of protection if you want.

It's a personal style thing. It sounds like you think it would look odd. That's fine. I'm looking for all opinions or gotcha's about going glass-less.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

You get what you pay for, John. Amazing quality. The edges, the mounting, the way it floats off the wall... it's truly gorgeous. You'll get to see a wall of them at Chez Smug at the party.

I can't say enough about how gorgeous these are.
  • Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Another thought.
    Try a canvas print from here.

I just did one of mine and love how it came out. No glass needed.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 28, 2007
    You talked me into it Andy,

I have been looking at these for a whilethumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

That is pretty cool - I think I may have one or two in mind for them. Have you or anyone else printed using your own color proofing (not auto color). If so, how good were the results. If you soft-proofed, what profile did you use?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You get what you pay for, John. Amazing quality. The edges, the mounting, the way it floats off the wall... it's truly gorgeous. You'll get to see a wall of them at Chez Smug at the party.

I can't say enough about how gorgeous these are.

I'm sure they are gorgeous. But, I'm feeling a bit like my thread has been hijacked here. I'm not interested in the Fotoflot style for the purpose I asked about and I do intend to do my own printing for this use. I also plan on updating the images every so often (it's a family wall) which isn't all that practical from them since you can't slide in a new image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm sure they are gorgeous. But, I'm feeling a bit like my thread has been hijacked here. I'm not interested in the Fotoflot style for the purpose I asked about and I do intend to do my own printing for this use. I also plan on updating the images every so often (it's a family wall) which isn't all that practical from them since you can't slide in a new image.

Sorry John - I saw the Fotoflot site & got a bit carried away...
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    aktpics wrote:
    Sorry John - I saw the Fotoflot site & got a bit carried away...

Not a big deal - I was just hoping to hear more from people who have experience framing without glass.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Not a big deal - I was just hoping to hear more from people who have experience framing without glass.

Ok, here are a few ideas.

Coda Mount: These are very light mounting boards 3/4" to 1 1/2" with self adhesive on the front. Simply print, stick, trim, (spray protective coating), and hang on the wall.

You could also simply mount the photo on foamcore, or gator board, with or without a boarder, and hang that on the wall.

Since you don't seem to be concerned about longevity, you can literly mount your photo on any material you like, and hang it on the wall.

Sam