Options

Some cool info on this shot I just took

nickatnitenickatnite Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited November 29, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
So, I'm sitting here at work and been wanting to take a pic; but...

There is always a BUT when something good comes up, huh? See, the problem is my work. I don't just work a normal 9-5 job, I work offshore in the oil/gas industry. I like my job and LOVE the time off (I get a 2 week vacation every month) just to rub that in. But that gives me more time to do what I love when I am home, ride my bike and take pictures.

So by now, you all are wondering what this has to do with pictures. Well, I always keep my Pentax Optio W30 with me every where I go and decided to do a little test. This camera boasts of a 3x optical zoom lens and such.
From the manufactures website:
3X optical zoom lens and 7.1 effective megapixels deliver outstanding pictures. The Optio W30 includes a 3X optical zoom lens that covers focal lengths from 6.3 to 18.9 mm (equivalent to 38 to 114 mm for 35mm film) and features a refraction lens system so the lens never protrudes from the camera while zooming. By harnessing the full power of the 7.1 effective megapixels, the Optio W30 produces extremely high-quality prints with crisp detail even when the photo is greatly enlarged.

Test subject. The Diamond Ocean Confidence (our sister rig). She is appx 4.5 miles from us.

Taken on auto with no zoom:

226555416-XL.jpg

Now with full zoom: Can you see the helicopter on the deck (right side)?

226556432-XL.jpg

I just thought that I would share this and a little part of the world I live in.

Nick

Comments

• Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Very cool.
    I too have the W30 for some of my wet photography. I have been very happy with it.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    nickatnite wrote:
    So, I'm sitting here at work and been wanting to take a pic; but...

There is always a BUT when something good comes up, huh? See, the problem is my work. I don't just work a normal 9-5 job, I work offshore in the oil/gas industry. I like my job and LOVE the time off (I get a 2 week vacation every month) just to rub that in. But that gives me more time to do what I love when I am home, ride my bike and take pictures.

So by now, you all are wondering what this has to do with pictures. Well, I always keep my Pentax Optio W30 with me every where I go and decided to do a little test. This camera boasts of a 3x optical zoom lens and such.
    From the manufactures website:
    3X optical zoom lens and 7.1 effective megapixels deliver outstanding pictures. The Optio W30 includes a 3X optical zoom lens that covers focal lengths from 6.3 to 18.9 mm (equivalent to 38 to 114 mm for 35mm film) and features a refraction lens system so the lens never protrudes from the camera while zooming. By harnessing the full power of the 7.1 effective megapixels, the Optio W30 produces extremely high-quality prints with crisp detail even when the photo is greatly enlarged.

Test subject. The Diamond Ocean Confidence (our sister rig). She is appx 4.5 miles from us.

Taken on auto with no zoom:
    Now with full zoom: Can you see the helicopter on the deck (right side)?
    I just thought that I would share this and a little part of the world I live in.

Nick

Hi Nick, can't say I envy your job at all, risky business those Oil Rigs.
    I'm glad you get a lot of time off to do as you please.

Those little camera's can indeed do a great job.
    I recently brought a little Canon Point and Shoot,
    and I am really happy with it.

Even the little video clips are fun to do.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your Work Place.
    Keep Safe thumb.gif keep posting thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin