40d + Bg-e2n

gregkendallballgregkendallball Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited December 2, 2007 in Cameras
2072776622_b246b279d4.jpg

I arrived home from work to find my new BG-E2N had been delivered. I stuck it on my 40D post haste, and noticed an immediate improvement in the balance, especially with the 24-70 on the end.

I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship!

And here's one with the 50mm f/1.4 attached. Also, a very nice combo...

2072777476_c2a037827f.jpg
KendallBall.com

Canon 40D
Canon 30D
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
Canon EF 50mm 1.4
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    A worthwhile investment then?
    I've got a canon d-rebel right now (the original 6mp one) and I'm seriously thinking about upgrading. I just saw/handled the the 40D for the first time (was drooling over the 3in viewing screen). The first thing I noticed about it was how much nicer the slightly bigger body felt in my somewhat large hands compared to my rebel. Anyway, I saw your post about the extended grip. Does it change the batteries used? Does it add a significant amount of weight? And what type of photography do you find yourseld doing most often with it? Would appreciate your thoughts.
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    CTUphoto wrote:
    I've got a canon d-rebel right now (the original 6mp one) and I'm seriously thinking about upgrading. I just saw/handled the the 40D for the first time (was drooling over the 3in viewing screen). The first thing I noticed about it was how much nicer the slightly bigger body felt in my somewhat large hands compared to my rebel. Anyway, I saw your post about the extended grip. Does it change the batteries used? Does it add a significant amount of weight? And what type of photography do you find yourseld doing most often with it? Would appreciate your thoughts.

The battery grip holds two standard batteries.

Weight added - not much, just that of the additional battery, plus a couple oz. for the grip itself.

I use it all the time. It has the additional set of controls for vertical orientation shooting - saves the shoulder muscles a lot.

The biggest impact is on the improved balance of the camera/lens combination. Without it, the combination is a little nose heavy. With the grip, the center of balance moves back quite a bit, thus making it easier to hold.
  • gregkendallballgregkendallball Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I would just echo what was said above.

Some people refer to it as the "Battery Grip." It will effectively double the amount of shots you can take on a full charge ( ~2200 according to the manual). When I head to Uganda in January, I expect to be away from a reliable power source for a day or two at a time, so this is definitely a bonus.

Others refer to it as the "Vertical Grip." It defintely helps with portrait, or vertical, shooting, as it allows you to hold your camera more naturally, and takes some of the strain off your shoulders and wrists.

And, the weight is negligible, especially since it provides the balance benefit. My 40D + 24-70mm f/2.8 L is quite heavy, but with the extra ounces of the two batteries and the grip, it's actually easier to hold and shoot because of the balance.

I hope that helps. Jumping from the XXXD family to the XXD family is a huge step-up in terms of build quality, and you won't be sorry!
    KendallBall.com

Canon 40D
    Canon 30D
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4
    Canon 580EX II
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    The grip is a must regardless of which grip-less body you have. The 40D with a grip is virtually the same size and basic feel as a 1D body, although you can definitly tell the grip on the 1D is part of the body and the 40D is plastic and attached via the tripod mount. The viewfinder on the 40D compared to a Rebel is pretty stubstancial. There's a great improvement all around, but the 400D is still a fine camera if you can live without some of the bells and whistles. Its absolutely capable.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    CTUphoto, once you get a battery grip/vertical grip, its hard then to go without one. I got one for a camera back in the film days and ever since then I automatically get one, no questions. Its kinda like L glass, once you go, you really can't go back.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me