Options

Fixing a background in Photoshop/Aperture/Lightroom

scolainsolascolainsola Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited December 2, 2007 in Finishing School
This was one of several practice shots I took, and I ended up liking it. I just wish the background would fade away and not be so obviously a bed sheet. :rofl

(sorry for the happy face, just feel weird about posting a picture of my daughter on the internet).

226642006-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Wow - your daughter has some smile! rolleyes1.gif

Two general ways to do this - you can blur the background or blow it out.

If I were doing this in PSP (same as photoshop I think), I'd copy the image to a 2nd layer, and on that layer I'd select the foreground object (your daughter), then invert selection (so I now have the background selected). I'd then either do a blur effect till I got it to look the way I wanted or I would make it dark grey/black (but you could do white if you wanted.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Wow - your daughter has some smile! rolleyes1.gif

Two general ways to do this - you can blur the background or blow it out.

If I were doing this in PSP (same as photoshop I think), I'd copy the image to a 2nd layer, and on that layer I'd select the foreground object (your daughter), then invert selection (so I now have the background selected). I'd then either do a blur effect till I got it to look the way I wanted or I would make it dark grey/black (but you could do white if you wanted.

Thanks for the tips. If you wouldn't mind, please elaborate a little. I am pretty proficient with photoshop, but I am not quite following you on how to break-out my daughter from the background (quick selection tool?) and what good adding an additional layer does.

Walk me through the steps, if possible.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 28, 2007
    You can select the background with Select >Color Range. A Magic Wand can then be used to refine your selection. Hit CTRL-J to duplicate this, blur it heavily with Gaussian Blur, and then blend it with the background layer with the Opacity slider.

This will blur the edges of your daughter because the Gaussian blur will spread some beyond the edges of the selection.

Use the History Brush to paint along the edges of your daughter to restore the appearance of the edges affected by the selection and the blurring of the background. It takes about 3 minutes to achieve this....

226680235-L.jpg

Once you have the background selected, you can change the hue, or saturation or lightness at the same time. Or even clone in a different background from another image...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Thanks for the tips. If you wouldn't mind, please elaborate a little. I am pretty proficient with photoshop, but I am not quite following you on how to break-out my daughter from the background (quick selection tool?) and what good adding an additional layer does.

Walk me through the steps, if possible.

I think Pathfinder did it for me! clap.gif Let us know if you need more help.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    You can select the background with Select >Color Range. A Magic Wand can then be used to refine your selection. Hit CTRL-J to duplicate this, blur it heavily with Gaussian Blur, and then blend it with the background layer with the Opacity slider.

This will blur the edges of your daughter because the Gaussian blur will spread some beyond the edges of the selection.

Use the History Brush to paint along the edges of your daughter to restore the appearance of the edges affected by the selection and the blurring of the background. It takes about 3 minutes to achieve this....

226680235-L.jpg

Once you have the background selected, you can change the hue, or saturation or lightness at the same time. Or even clone in a different background from another image...

Thank you SOOOO much. I had several pics that I was able to fix, thanks to you.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    I think Pathfinder did it for me! clap.gif Let us know if you need more help.

I appreciate your help too. I do not use photoshop daily, so it really helps to get little refresher courses from people like you.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

Duplicate the layer, select the background, invert the selection, make a layer from the selection. Now you have a layer with your daughter only.

Select the background again, make a layer from it. Before you blur this layer, take your rubber stamp and copy the background that is not next to your daugher over the edges of the background near your daughter. This doesn't need to be done "carefully" - use a big brush and just clone away. Now blur. The newly blurred background will no longer have edges of your daughter included in the blur. Move this layer under the layer with your daughter only.

This is much easier than carefully painting with the history brush.

Also see the Advance Masking tutorial from Russell Brown, at the bottom of this page:

http://russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    jcdill wrote:
    Duplicate the layer, select the background, invert the selection, make a layer from the selection. Now you have a layer with your daughter only.

Select the background again, make a layer from it. Before you blur this layer, take your rubber stamp and copy the background that is not next to your daugher over the edges of the background near your daughter. This doesn't need to be done "carefully" - use a big brush and just clone away. Now blur. The newly blurred background will no longer have edges of your daughter included in the blur. Move this layer under the layer with your daughter only.

This is much easier than carefully painting with the history brush.

Also see the Advance Masking tutorial from Russell Brown, at the bottom of this page:

http://russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

jc

This is how I do it when I have an interesting background I need to blur. However, for this image I'd probably just drop in a color or gradient layer and call it a day.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Don't forget the option to increase the blur at the time of capture by:

1. increasing the distance between the subject and background and,
    2. opening up the aperture to decrease DOF.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Well yeah . . .
    But that requires planning and forethought, and isn't near as much fun as being able to congratulate yourself on your masterful PP skills!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 1, 2007
    Actually Icebear, it becomes second nature to think about blurring backgrounds 'in camera' with a larger aperture, after spending several hours doing it in front of a computer monitor because I didn't use a larger aperture:D It usually looks more believable when done in camera also.

I would rather shoot better and process less, than vice versa myself, and I suspect that is true of most of us.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    You may also want to look at erasing a background...
    Kind of late to the thread, but you may want to check out this podcast.
    Remove a background using Photoshop CS2

Removing a background from an image is probably one of the most requested techniques in Photoshop. Luckily there are numerous ways to do it in Adobe Photoshop CS2. In this Podcast Iâll explore two ways to do it. One is pretty basic and the other one requires a little more finesse.

http://creativesuitepodcast.com/index.php?post_id=101556
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Actually Icebear, it becomes second nature to think about blurring backgrounds 'in camera' with a larger aperture, after spending several hours doing it in front of a computer monitor because I didn't use a larger aperture:D It usually looks more believable when done in camera also.

I would rather shoot better and process less, than vice versa myself, and I suspect that is true of most of us.thumb.gif

Certainly. However, you need to have quite a bit of distance between subject and background to adequately blur the background. When I shoot portraits, I look for spaces where I can put at least 6 feet of space behind the subject as well as 6 feet between subject and camera. However, that is often not possible. I don't like blurring backgrounds in Photoshop, but sometimes it is the best answer.