Options

Challenge 34 - Virginia's Efforts

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited March 11, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are a couple of the ideas I am working on. Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

17241804-M.jpg

17241798-M.jpg

Email

Comments

• Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    Another approach
    I rather like the lampshade so thought I would try it in black and white. I took the picture in RAW this time (Canon PowerShot G-5) then converted it to 16 bit color and enhanced the contrast. I had to go back to 8 bit to convert to jpeg, but the result looks almost as good. I love the dark blue in the original photo, but maybe this works better??? Or maybe not a good concept at all for the competition. ne_nau.gif Anybody have any thoughts? It is daunting for us newbies to even think about entering these challenges with all of the marvelous photos dgriners are producing so we need all the help we can get! Earn some good karma and speak up! :D Thanks.

17256602-M.jpg

Email
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I like the lampshade either way, actually. Since you like the blue, and this is minimalist, I would go with the blue if I were you, I think.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    One more B&W Try
    Here is another take on the wooden mannequin. Any thoughts or comments?

17266461-M.jpg

Email
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Here is another take on the wooden mannequin. Any thoughts or comments?

17266461-M.jpg
    I like this photo better with the black background. thumb.gif
    You might want to try to hang it in a tree and get the tree bark for the background.

Good Luck,
    Chuck,
    Marshall, NC
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Here are a couple of the ideas I am working on. Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

17241798-M.jpg
    I like this one, but I'd like it better if the blue was the same color throughout
    the picture. Just my opinion. (I'd go with the lighter blue at the bottom)
    And, I'd crop it for a straight vertical line on the right side.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    I like them
    I like them either way, but I prefer the black and white. However, if it's allowed, I would play with the lighting on the black and white to give it a little "oomfff". dawn

PS I like the blue too, but I've already seen at least three others where blue is the dominate color
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    I like this photo better with the black background. thumb.gif
    You might want to try to hang it in a tree and get the tree bark for the background.

Good Luck,
    Chuck,
    Marshall, NC
    Thanks for your comments, Chuck. The tree bark as background idea is intriguing, but not too practical up here in Boston at the moment! mwink.gif

Email
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    Thanks Ginger and Dave. I may play with the idea a bit more since I do think it qualifies as minimalist. It just doesn't rise to the level of being challenge worthy given the truly remarkable efforts by other dgriners that I have seen. Also, IMHO just because a photo is minimalist is no reason for it to be uninteresting. In any event, I am learning a lot and that is the point. Right?

Email
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    DawnLand wrote:
    I like them either way, but I prefer the black and white. However, if it's allowed, I would play with the lighting on the black and white to give it a little "oomfff". dawn

PS I like the blue too, but I've already seen at least three others where blue is the dominate color
    Thanks a lot for your comments, Dawn. I agree that the picture could use a bit more oomfff. I'll play with it a little and see if I can improve the drama. The blue is my bedroom wall and it can be quite handy as a background.

Virginia

Email