Options

I am a Newbe

mochabeanmochabean Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited November 30, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I have a site full of photos, want to hone in on my skills, need professional evaluations and constructive criticism, please. I want to be able to shoot jaw-dropping images. So I need to know where I am inorder to get to where I want to be!
If anyone of you professionals would be so kind as to spend a moment, take a look-see and let me know what is it about my photography that stands out. Is there a particular element in my work that perhaps I should focus on and development? Everyone has a style, I have an inkling about mine. Just curious how professional photographers view my work. I was a floral shop owner/designer for 14 years and have just sold my business. The elements and principles of floral design cross over to all forms of art. Am I on track? Please help? My site is either http://wendyclaire.smugmug.com or http://www.wendyclairephototgraphy.com.

Been a reader of DG for awhile and finally got my nerve up to ask for help! Thanks kindly:lust
wendyclaire.smugmug.com

"Of all the senses, sight must be the most delightful." Helen Keller

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    mochabean wrote:
    Neither of your links works! headscratch.gif Did you check them?
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    http://wendyclaire.smugmug.com/

try this one for now. :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    ok first of all; i'm no pro

but i took a look at your website and answering your question is going to be very tough. you have such diverse photos!! there are some real jewels in there and some that work a little less for me, but all in all i think you have excellent photos! thumb.gif

i'm sorry i cant help you any further (prob. because i'm at a way lower level of photography then you :D) but at a compliment is allways nice right? rolleyes1.gifD
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Thanks for trying
    Neither of your links works! headscratch.gif Did you check them?
    Perhaps the links I typed don't workrolleyes1.gif. But just type wendyclaire.smugmug.com and the site will come up. Thanks again!
    wendyclaire.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    you betcha!
    ok first of all; i'm no pro

but i took a look at your website and answering your question is going to be very tough. you have such diverse photos!! there are some real jewels in there and some that work a little less for me, but all in all i think you have excellent photos! thumb.gif

i'm sorry i cant help you any further (prob. because i'm at a way lower level of photography then you :D) but at a compliment is allways nice right? rolleyes1.gifD

Compliments are always a booster. Thanks! Yes, you're right, some of the photos need to hit the circular file. I do have much diversity in subject matter. Trying to find my niche, experimented a lot. Some better than others. What subject stood out for you?
    wendyclaire.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    well its hard to show you without being able to put the photos here but;

i think the red cardinal cristmas card is wonderful!

i also liked the sunrise over fog photos in your landscapes section

i like your garden series, these are very scenic and breathe a lot of atmosphere. you make nice use of somewhat muted colours.

you have an eye for 'rustic elements' if i look at your architecture section and a good way of exposure/processing to finish them. same muted colours do well with rustic.

what i didnt like as much:

non rustic things such as the photos in the event section. they are nice, but not like the other photos.

i think your sport section is, although good, not as good as those discribed above.

all in all; i think you are covered in the rustic and nature section, i like your close ups of flowers and insects! thumb.gif the other sorts of shots are good but do not have that extra flair. hope this helps, i think you should decide for yourself wheter you want to improve on things you are already good at or not so good.

p.s try the wipping post and post your best picture if you want to improve. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Thank Again!
    well its hard to show you without being able to put the photos here but;

i think the red cardinal cristmas card is wonderful!

i also liked the sunrise over fog photos in your landscapes section

i like your garden series, these are very scenic and breathe a lot of atmosphere. you make nice use of somewhat muted colours.

you have an eye for 'rustic elements' if i look at your architecture section and a good way of exposure/processing to finish them. same muted colours do well with rustic.

what i didnt like as much:

non rustic things such as the photos in the event section. they are nice, but not like the other photos.

i think your sport section is, although good, not as good as those discribed above.

all in all; i think you are covered in the rustic and nature section, i like your close ups of flowers and insects! thumb.gif the other sorts of shots are good but do not have that extra flair. hope this helps, i think you should decide for yourself wheter you want to improve on things you are already good at or not so good.

p.s try the wipping post and post your best picture if you want to improve. thumb.gif
    Great comments. I will mull them around. I'll try the wipping post. Thanks again.
    wendyclaire.smugmug.com

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    mochabean wrote:
    I have a site full of photos, want to hone in on my skills, need professional evaluations and constructive criticism, please. I want to be able to shoot jaw-dropping images. So I need to know where I am inorder to get to where I want to be!
    If anyone of you professionals would be so kind as to spend a moment, take a look-see and let me know what is it about my photography that stands out. Is there a particular element in my work that perhaps I should focus on and development? Everyone has a style, I have an inkling about mine. Just curious how professional photographers view my work. I was a floral shop owner/designer for 14 years and have just sold my business. The elements and principles of floral design cross over to all forms of art. Am I on track? Please help? My site is either http://wendyclaire.smugmug.com or http://www.wendyclairephototgraphy.com.

Been a reader of DG for awhile and finally got my nerve up to ask for help! Thanks kindlyiloveyou.gif

Hi there Wendy, I fixed your first link (SMUGMUG) so it works now :D

I'm not a Pro, I've had a look through quite a few of your images.
    I like what I see.

There is one shot I really love the colours in and that's this one

181306191-S-5.jpg

You have some really nice work Wendy.
    Hope you get the feed back your looking for.

Welcome to the Dgrin forum, hope you'll post some of your shots.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ........... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    Fix and Feedback
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Wendy, I fixed your first link (SMUGMUG) so it works now :D

I'm not a Pro, I've had a look through quite a few of your images.
    I like what I see.

There is one shot I really love the colours in and that's this one

181306191-S-5.jpg

You have some really nice work Wendy.
    Hope you get the feed back your looking for.

Welcome to the Dgrin forum, hope you'll post some of your shots.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ........... Skippy :D

Thanks for the fix. You chose everyones favorite photo! I will be posting more so I can get to the meat of defining what I need to work on. Thanx fo spending the time on my site. Wendy
    wendyclaire.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    Skippy, Your site
    mochabean wrote:
    Thanks for the fix. You chose everyones favorite photo! I will be posting more so I can get to the meat of defining what I need to work on. Thanx fo spending the time on my site. Wendy

Skippy, I just went to your site........love, love love your work. I would love to chat with you and pick your brain. The lighting, angles and crispness of your images are what I need to improve on. Perhaps we can email and chat?
    Wendy
    wendyclaire.smugmug.com