Minimalist Landscapes

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited March 11, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Is there such a thing as a "minimalist landscape"? This is my interpretation, from my morning hike today. Are these suitable for the challenge? Not geometric enough? :scratch

Yucca
17244522-L.jpg

Foggy Day (4x12 panorama)
17256140-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Vote for Fog
    I think the second one works for the minimalism challenge and I love it, especially the top of the hill poking out of the fog. There has been a lot of discussion about how minimalism should be nonrepresentational, but I think that, in photography, we can reduce things to their essence and achieve the same dramatic impacton the viewer. IMHO, the first picture doesn't work for this challenge. The viewer is simply too aware of the trees as trees and the singularity -- the yucca plant -- is almost lost. A photo of a yucca plant close up and silhouetted against that beautiful blue sky could be dynamite though. Good luck!

Email
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I think the second one works very well. I like the way the fog blends in with the sky only to have the top of the peak visible.clap.gif

mitch
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    the 2nd is quite lovely snappy!! thumb.gifclap.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Snappy, the second one works, I think. For various reasons, I don't think the first one works.

I like the second one. Does it bother anyone else that the "horizon" which are clouds, I assume, isn't straight? It bothers me, but other than that it is great, IMO.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    yep, #2 is it!
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    I think they both work but the second is a superior photograph..Well done.thumb.gif
  • DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    yes
    snapapple wrote:
    Is there such a thing as a "minimalist landscape"? This is my interpretation, from my morning hike today. Are these suitable for the challenge? Not geometric enough? headscratch.gif

Yucca
    17244522-L.jpg

Foggy Day (4x12 panorama)
    17256140-L.jpg
    I agree that the second one fits nicely! dawn
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Yup, number two works very nicely and I agree that anything in nature reduced to it's essance of form can function well in this challange for minimalisum. Nice work Snappy! looks like you're sittin' on top of the world.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Definitely #2, just straighten the horizon and it'll be all good.thumb.gif