Portrait Retouch - Opinions requested

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited November 30, 2007 in People
Hey y'all!

I did a portrait retouch last night for the president of the company that I am contracting for. He had skin cancer and had to have the entire bottom portion of his face removed, the forehead skin pulled down to cover it, and his nose reconstructed using a portion of his buttocks. The top half of his face was white and the bottom half red. The scan itself sucked because it was dusty and had a monster cyan color cast.

Needless to say it was one of the more challenging retouch jobs that I have performed. I left some of the splotchiness and wrinkles to maintain the character. Let me know what you think. I've already shown it to the client and they are pleased (actually they placed the order on the spot) but for my personal growth, let me know if there is anything else that you would have changed, corrected, etc.

Below are the original and the retouch. Thanks!

Original Image
226683343-M.jpg

Retouch
226683427-M.jpg

Comments

• JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Travis,

Your retouch looks first rate to me. Except, the red looks too strong overall. So I checked the numbers in PS (cmyk), and sure enough, the magenta is higher than yellow in face and background too. Smugmug's fleshtone help page is useful. Search fleshtones or pleasing fleshtones.

Great job on the retouch though. That looks like it was a really tough one.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    Travis,

Your retouch looks first rate to me. Except, the red looks too strong overall. So I checked the numbers in PS (cmyk), and sure enough, the magenta is higher than yellow in face and background too. Smugmug's fleshtone help page is useful. Search fleshtones or pleasing fleshtones.

Great job on the retouch though. That looks like it was a really tough one.

Jim

Interesting observation because I spent a hour last night balancing the fleshtones to get the numbers right. I took samples from both the forehead and the chin since they were 2 extremely different colors. Now that you mention it though, I may have reversed the Cyan and Magenta. Doh! I will have to verify tonight. Thanks for the input!

Edit: I went back and checked. The 2 points that I selected had C: 14, M: 38, Y:46 but the tones were all over the place since his face was composed of 3 different types of skin due to the grafts.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    The top half and bottom half of his face are two very different colors. I actually just saw the same thing (to a lesser degree) in a portrait session I did last week. My solution was pretty simple: drop a curves layer on top, fill the mask with black and then paint with a white brush over the red portion. I just rough the mask in on the first pass. Then I sample the two different colors and adjust the curves to match them. Its really pretty easy to refine the mask and the curves settings until the color variation vanishes. For this portrait, I'd adjust the lower half of his face to match his forehead and use the Blend If sliders to protect his shirt and jacket.
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I agree it looks fantastic. My first instinct was to think it was a little bit too red also. Maybe instead of trying to change the color balance, just bringing the overall saturation down a tad might make it so it doesn't appear overly red?

I've also tried the tips on the smugmug fleshtones help page and had good success with them...
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
    edited November 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The top half and bottom half of his face are two very different colors. I actually just saw the same thing (to a lesser degree) in a portrait session I did last week. My solution was pretty simple: drop a curves layer on top, fill the mask with black and then paint with a white brush over the red portion. I just rough the mask in on the first pass. Then I sample the two different colors and adjust the curves to match them. Its really pretty easy to refine the mask and the curves settings until the color variation vanishes. For this portrait, I'd adjust the lower half of his face to match his forehead and use the Blend If sliders to protect his shirt and jacket.

Great idea. I'll give it a shot and see how it works out. Getting skin right is tough enough without the skin coming from multiple sources!
    edited November 29, 2007
    I went back and reworked the colors as well as the background and extended the canvas to add enough space for canvas gallery wrap. I appreciate all of the input and I'm happy with the final outcome. Here it is....

226959358-M.jpg

Not shabby for a man of 90 years with major skin grafts. thumb.gif Thanks for all of your assistance!!!!!!!
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Looks a bit green now..
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Fantastic
    Superb job. I do agree that your last iteration is a tad green, but both the "red" and "green" are masterful jobs. Personally I like "red" better. Looks robustly healthy. After I look at skin for a long time, I just can't see the colors any more, and have to leave off for a few hours. Drives me crazy.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited November 30, 2007
    Thanks y'all. I was going for a tad more yellow/gree in the redo for 2 reasons... 1. it actually does look more like his natural color and 2. This portrait will hang beside one of wife that was printed by another photographer and has a slight greenish tint to it. It sounds wierd but decided it was better that they look similar than to fully correct his. Go figure....

I really appreciate the C&C! Thanks again,
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Excellent re-touch. I am about to go crazy trying to "fix" skin tones myself. It's much easier dealing with flowers and bugs!!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker