Rockstar portrait session

gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited November 29, 2007 in People
Well, he's hoping to become a rockstar... This is a guitarist friend of mine who needed some new portraits done for his website and other promo material. He writes songs reminiscent of 80's hard rock like Guns n' Roses. Big Slash fan, this kid... Anyway, we went for some hard light and a couple locations - this was my first shoot using my new off camera flash setup I bought after being inspired by the strobist blog, which I saw Pathfinder recommend in a thread here somewhere...

Any C&C really appreciated! (Full gallery of my favorites here if you want to see more...)

226756901-L.jpg

226757119-L.jpg

226757332-L.jpg

226757445-L.jpg

226757914-L.jpg

226758464-L.jpg
There's a thin line between genius and stupid.

Comments

• GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    very cool, total rockstar, great job!
    Giselle
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    gregneil

this was my first shoot using my new off camera flash setup

If this is your first off camera shoot, man, your gonna be good thumb.gif
    Randy
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    gregneil wrote:
    ...this was my first shoot using my new off camera flash setup...

Wow. If this is your first with off camera flash, then I can't wait to see your second and thrid attempts!

He should be very happy with these! My fav is the one with the camera coming towards the viewer.

Great job! clap.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Ooooooh, NICE!!! My fav is #3, but they're all creative! I bet he's really happy with the photos!! clap.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Ooooooh, NICE!!! My fav is #3, but they're all creative! I bet he's really happy with the photos!! clap.gif

This guy doesn't look like he could be "happy" about anything!

I realize that it's probably not cool to smile, but give me a break with the permanent tough guy scowl. How about a smirk?rolleyes1.gif

Great job on the lighting BTW.
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it was my first off-camera lighting attempt, but I've been reading so many posts here on dgrin, and tutorials on Strobist, that I had an idea going in how to approach it. Can't wait to do more!

I tried to get him to go for a different facial expression, but he's pretty firm in his 80's hard rock, hard life image. Which is kinda funny since he's actually a really funny, lighthearted guy. Not really my type of music or an image that appeals to me, but it's what he's going for.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.