Options

Ratio

cyberdoscyberdos Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited December 1, 2007 in Technique
I'm a nOOb and curious to know what the average ratio of pics is for you all to capture a great shot.

I find that out of every 30 or so shots I grab a winner.

This ratio, IMO, sucks but I'm still learning.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I get about 75% keepers but that is after shooting about 10K pictures a year. When I started out, I didn't have a discerning eye for composition or exposure, or even settings. Many of my pics are events where I am trying to capture memories for the people attending - I had to practice a LOT to find out what people like and what I like.

I was also helped along by taking many test shots in different situations to learn how to manipulate the cameras I own to achieve my vision for the shots I was taking. Some concepts just don't work out after viewing them and others really please me.

Just keep on shooting and critiquing your own photos so you will be able to recognize when something comes together in your environment that you will love to see "snapped".

Also, keep on filing through these forums and feel free to ask questions - its possible someone is taking shots that you really like and they are happy to share how they pull it together.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    About 10% of what I shoot gets deleted up front (either in camera or right after download).

Another 10-20% of my shots get deleted after the final product is delivered.

When I shoot an event or a portrait session, I usually show around 50% of my shots to the interested parties. Of that, maybe 5% make it to print.

Around 1% of my shots are good enough to be shown to the general public as representative of my work.

One thing to be aware of is that as you build better skills, your standards will rise so your ratio will not necessisarily improve and in fact you may find that, while your average shot gets better, you have even fewer keepers.
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    About 10% of what I shoot gets deleted up front (either in camera or right after download).

Another 10-20% of my shots get deleted after the final product is delivered.

When I shoot an event or a portrait session, I usually show around 50% of my shots to the interested parties. Of that, maybe 5% make it to print.

Around 1% of my shots are good enough to be shown to the general public as representative of my work.

One thing to be aware of is that as you build better skills, your standards will rise so your ratio will not necessisarily improve and in fact you may find that, while your average shot gets better, you have even fewer keepers.

I'll second what Liquid said, but I'm incredibly picky and my skill isn't anywhere near where his is yet. I might keep about 10%, and maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 I'd really put up and spend time on
  • Options
    cyberdoscyberdos Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    So my 1 in 30 is not that bad then. You guys suck more than I do! :D

Thanks for the input. I tend to get frustrated rather quickly and netting so few good pics has been getting to me. I'll have to muster up some patience and continue working on my skills because I truely love taking pics.
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I'll second what Liquid said, but I'm incredibly picky and my skill isn't anywhere near where his is yet. I might keep about 10%, and maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 I'd really put up and spend time on
    I will thrid that one myself. Some people who know me say Im too much of a perfectionist and, I say ofcourse when it come to my pictures. They think alot of them are gtreat but, they look like crap to me. I dont like to show mine unless I like them.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    haha same. I'm afraid it will get worse as my skills progress :cry
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    I'm finding as I go back over images taken in the last 12 months, that I'm continually deleting ones that at I once thought were keepers.

So the process continues and the rate goes down. Hopefully it won't drop to zero or I've achieved nothing but shutter wear.rolleyes1.gif
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    I'm finding as I go back over images taken in the last 12 months, that I'm continually deleting ones that at I once thought were keepers.

So the process continues and the rate goes down. Hopefully it won't drop to zero or I've achieved nothing but shutter wear.rolleyes1.gif

I do this too. I find there are two reasons for it. One is that I have captured the same idea better. The other is that over time I develop more confidence in my orginal editing decisions. When I first process a shoot I keep a lot of images "just in case." Over time I develop a better sense of what that shoot was about and I can delete more images with confidence.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I do this too. I find there are two reasons for it. One is that I have captured the same idea better. The other is that over time I develop more confidence in my orginal editing decisions. When I first process a shoot I keep a lot of images "just in case." Over time I develop a better sense of what that shoot was about and I can delete more images with confidence.

Bingo.:D
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I am constantly monkeying with the settings and learning the outcome. I may take 10 shots composed very similarly, exposed, metered, and/or focused differenlty. I am slowly -- through trial, error, lurking, and constantly referencing the manual -- learning to take better shots.

Now when I pick up the camera, I can get a decent resutl in my second or third try rather than my 6th or 10th. But as has been stated, the decent ones are just decent, and aren't necessarily keepers.

So the battle rages on.