Do keywords take a long time to index?

AllizDogStudiosAllizDogStudios Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited December 9, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've added keywords to one of my galleries, and I'm not getting any results when I search for those words.

Site: http://www.allizdogstudios.com

Gallery I'm playing with: http://www.allizdogstudios.com/gallery/3871699#224319202

You can see the keywords that I've added below the images. Things like classic car, autumn, hood ornament. If I search for these, I get nothing.

I am correct in that if you search for "hood", that the 'hood ornament' (not in quotes) will be picked up, correct?

Also, when I did a bulk keyword add, then when back and looked at the images to see if the keywords took, I had an odd thing happen. The only keywords that showed (this is while I was logged in) were the ones I added when uploaded the photos a week ago. None of the new ones showed. I clicked the "Edit" button next to them, and a window opened that showed all the new keywords. I clicked Save and now they show. Weren't they suppoed to be there when I hit Save in the bull keyword utility?

Anyway, they don't seem to be working. I'm not sure if it takes a while for them to propigate or if they're just broken.

I have Public, Hello Worlds and Hello Smuggers all set to Yes.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Should happen fast... I'll check for you, if in 24 hours things aren't normal, holler to our help desk, okay?

off topic, your footer is off by a pixel in Safari 3
    alliz_dog_studios-_powered_by_smugmug-20071129-162417.jpg

seems fine in IE6 and FF2.
  • AllizDogStudiosAllizDogStudios Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    The keywords still aren't working. If you go to http://www.allizdogstudios.com/gallery/3871699#224319202 you can see that the first image has the keywords 'classic, hood ornament, etc' but when I search any of them, it's showing that no photos are found.

I really need this to work as it'll be the basis of my whole site's functionality.

As far as the Safari thing is concerned, I don't have a clue how to fix that. Works on IE6 and 6 and Firefox and I don't have a way to test for Macs.
  • Michel4632Michel4632 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2007
    Me too
    Hello,

I'm experiencing exactly the same with keywords as the original poster.

Search function doesn't seem to work either on captions but I don't know if it should ?

Thanks
    Michel
    (overall happy new smugmug customer)
    edited November 30, 2007

As far as the Safari thing is concerned, I don't have a clue how to fix that. Works on IE6 and 6 and Firefox and I don't have a way to test for Macs.
    Sure you do, Safari is available for Windows now, just go to www.apple.com and download it :)
    edited November 30, 2007
    Michel4632 wrote:
    Hello,

I'm experiencing exactly the same with keywords as the original poster.

Search function doesn't seem to work either on captions but I don't know if it should ?

Thanks
    Michel
    (overall happy new smugmug customer)
    Some general wonkiness going on w/ Searching and keywords right now, we're looking into it.
    edited December 3, 2007
    Any info on this? I was going to start uploading all my stuff, but I don't want to have to redo keywording.
    edited December 3, 2007
    Any info on this? I was going to start uploading all my stuff, but I don't want to have to redo keywording.

Search function seems now to work properly (both on keywords and captions).
    However, I had to edit and resave one by one the keywords I had added in bulk mode and which didn't appear spontaneously below each picture.
    I didn't try yet to enter new keywords in bulk.

Michel
    edited December 3, 2007
    Michel4632 wrote:
    Search function seems now to work properly (both on keywords and captions)....Michel

Still not working for me. Seems to be okay with captions, but keywords are getting nothing. I even edited and saved them.
    edited December 4, 2007
    Still not working for me. Seems to be okay with captions, but keywords are getting nothing. I even edited and saved them.

You're right I'm afraid...I had the impression that it worked because I have some keywords in my captions !
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 4, 2007
    I believe it is currently a bug with the bulk keywording tool. Can you try adding a keyword without using that tool and seeing if that works?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • dancingwithlightdancingwithlight Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    This was something I was going to ask about. I uploaded a few photos in the past week, but searching for the keyword from the main smugmug page doesn't find them. I keyworded them - not bulk.

Is there still a problem with the search sitewise? The search seems fine within my own smugmug site.

Ann :)
    edited December 9, 2007
    This was something I was going to ask about. I uploaded a few photos in the past week, but searching for the keyword from the main smugmug page doesn't find them. I keyworded them - not bulk.

Is there still a problem with the search sitewise? The search seems fine within my own smugmug site.

Ann :)

Hi Ann,

Sorry about the issues. But I don't seem to have a problem finding your photos with a keyword search from the main page. For example, your mushroom photo shows up first here: http://www.smugmug.com/keyword/all/manipulation#230006808 and your flower photos show up here: http://www.smugmug.com/keyword/all/lizianthus#228271356

Was there a specific photo or keyword that wasn't showing up?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • dancingwithlightdancingwithlight Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Thanks Sheaf,

I can see my first mistake - not spotting the keyword results straightaway as you need to hover to see how many photos match - easy to miss I think to anyone new to the site.

I suppose in the light of realising that they only appear as keyword matches - I'm wondering why they don't appear as photo matches - which seem easier to spot among the results. I have checked the captions on those that do come up on a search for say "lisianthus" and they like mine have that word as part of the photo caption underneath. What else do they have which I've missed on mine as mine don't seem to be picked up as photos which match the search term - only as a keyword match.

Apologies for being a bit confused :)

Ann
    edited December 9, 2007
    Sorry, I believe they are not showing up under the search results because our indexing of those results is indeed a bit behind. We had a a few database problems recently and had to remove our normally fast indexing for the time being. Sorry!
    SmugMug Product Manager