Road to Red Rocks

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Landscapes
Didnt have much time, but had my P&S with me to catch this morning shot on the way to work:

Comments appreciated-

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Another perspective:
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    nice shots- love how rich the road looks mwink.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    I like 'em both. Just a wee bit of tilt (I think) on the second one that could be corrected.

Nice commute!
    Chris
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif You have a great commute! Love the hills and wish I had something that lovely to look at every morning.
    edited November 30, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I like 'em both. Just a wee bit of tilt (I think) on the second one that could be corrected.

Nice commute!

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Considering the BG's are basically identical, I really like the viewpoint of #2. One I've never seen.
    Growing with Dgrin

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Better?

Very cool. thumb.gif
    Chris
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I think the lower angle on the second shot makes it much more dramatic.
    Nice.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    The depth and perspective are great. Hard to choose which one I prefer.

I'd like to see one taken in portrait orientation to include more of the sky, for comparison's sake. Lots of asphalt in both pics, relatively speaking, and my eye follows the road down the middle, ignoring the right and left of the shot.
    edited December 2, 2007
    Grainbelt wrote:
    The depth and perspective are great. Hard to choose which one I prefer.

I'd like to see one taken in portrait orientation to include more of the sky, for comparison's sake. Lots of asphalt in both pics, relatively speaking, and my eye follows the road down the middle, ignoring the right and left of the shot.

Like this?
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Like this?

nod.gif

Though, now that I've seen it, I somehow prefer the other two. headscratch.gif
  • bsquaredbsquared Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    Considering the BG's are basically identical, I really like the viewpoint of #2. One I've never seen.

Same here, great pic!
  • rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Didnt have much time, but had my P&S with me to catch this morning shot on the way to work:

Great shots! You must have a fantastic P&S camera!
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
    - George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"
  • Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Nice shot, wish I was driving down that road right now.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    i like #1, the texture of the road really stands out to me.
    that pic makes me wish there were no speed limits
    Aaron Nelson
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 5, 2007
    Hi George,

I have never seen that part of Florida before!:D :D

I prefer the drama of your second shot in landscape orientation, but the horizon looks a bit askew to my eye.

What camera was this shot with? (You didn't list a P&S in your Profile.)

Is this really Utah?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 5, 2007
    Jim:

Not Florida, Nevada! I was at our plant on the west side of Las Vegas, very near the entrance to Red Rocks State Park. This is the road into the park.

I have this crappy little P&S that I have been trying to replace because it takes such poor pics. But every once in a while, it surprises me! It's a Canon Elph Powershot SD600, 6 megapixels camera.

This demonstrates two things: its not the camera, its the photograph (note I didnt say photographer, but the actual picture!) and that good light overcomes all. (And some heavy post processing.)

I got into the middle of the road, put the camera on one of those yellow speed bumps and set the timer to 10 seconds.

I then ran out of the road to get my shadow out of the picture, and ran back before another car comes and runs over either my camera or me or both!

I took several, and these are the best of the bunch.

It also points out to me to always carry a camera with you, you never know when a good opportunity presents its self and having a camera to capture it - any camera - is important if you are a true photographer.

Enjoy!

Z
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 5, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Jim:

Not Florida, Nevada!

I knew it was out west somewhere:D
    This demonstrates two things: its not the camera, its the photographer and that good light overcomes all.

I absolutely agree.

It also points out to me to always carry a camera with you, you never know when a good opportunity presents its self and having a camera to capture it - any camera - is important if you are a true photographer.

I just returned from two days spent in Toronto with a Photographic Workshop with Jay Maisel, and one of the many things he pounded on, over and over, was to ALWAYS carry a camera with you. I am trying to take this lesson to heart, even if it is just a P&S as well.

Take a gander at the new G9, George, it really can capture some nice images like this one from the streets of Toronto.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • threelions usathreelions usa Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Jim:

Not Florida, Nevada! I was at our plant on the west side of Las Vegas, very near the entrance to Red Rocks State Park. This is the road into the park.

I have this crappy little P&S that I have been trying to replace because it takes such poor pics. But every once in a while, it surprises me! It's a Canon Elph Powershot SD600, 6 megapixels camera.

This demonstrates two things: its not the camera, its the photograph (note I didnt say photographer, but the actual picture!) and that good light overcomes all. (And some heavy post processing.)

I got into the middle of the road, put the camera on one of those yellow speed bumps and set the timer to 10 seconds.

I then ran out of the road to get my shadow out of the picture, and ran back before another car comes and runs over either my camera or me or both!

I took several, and these are the best of the bunch.

Enjoy!

Z
    i was wondering if there was a third shot with a different camera of the first camera in pieces !!!

i love that one flat in the road and am surprised (well only because i wouldn't have thought of it) that you ran to get your shadow out of the shot.

were it me, it would be a homer simpson DOH ! moment when i posted and someone pointed out to me "hey isn't that your shadow spoiling the shot ??

:bluduh

thumb.gifthumb