Options

Need a folder/directory monitor

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited December 23, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I'm a paying Mozy subscriber, and I love their backup service. Mozy's greatest strength, however, is alo its greatest weakness. It's a near-real-time mirror of my specified folders. Thus, if I get hit by a virus or some data corruption, that corruption just gets mirrored to Mozy. Mozy gives me 30 days to recover older versions of files.

So, I'm looking for a lightweight utility (preferably something that will run as a service) which will monitor the folders I specify for anything that might resemble data loss or corruption. There are a ton of folder-watching utilities out there, so I thought I'd poll for recommendations.

Thanks for your help! :D

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited December 3, 2007
    thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
  • Options
    billandersbillanders Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    I'm a paying Mozy subscriber, and I love their backup service. Mozy's greatest strength, however, is alo its greatest weakness. It's a near-real-time mirror of my specified folders. Thus, if I get hit by a virus or some data corruption, that corruption just gets mirrored to Mozy. Mozy gives me 30 days to recover older versions of files.

So, I'm looking for a lightweight utility (preferably something that will run as a service) which will monitor the folders I specify for anything that might resemble data loss or corruption. There are a ton of folder-watching utilities out there, so I thought I'd poll for recommendations.

Thanks for your help! :D

Greg,

The only thing that comes to mind would be SyncToy, but it's local only, instead of web-based.

With an external HDD backup, using SyncToy set to "Contribute" keeps a backup of everything in the "parent" directory, while deleting nothing in the "child" directory.

While I do like the automation that services like Mozy provide, you've thought of the downside. I use SyncToy to automatically create backup to my external HDD nightly. Then once a week I manually sync the appropriate directories with Amazon's S3 (Simple Storage Service).

HTH,
    Bill