Options

New login required for each and every page...

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited December 13, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
and login staying valid for just seconds only??? It took me 6 logins to reach this page and post this in the space of a minute. It's crazy!!
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    are you referring to logging in on Dgrin?

What browser are you using, and version? Have you enabled cookies completely and fully? Do you have any 3rd party cookie software on your machine?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    and login staying valid for just seconds only??? It took me 6 logins to reach this page and post this in the space of a minute. It's crazy!!

As Andy said, a login gets lost when the login cookie gets blocked, deleted or removed. Subsequent page loads don't see the login cookie and they think you must login again. The kinds of things that could cause the cookie to get lost include:
    • settings in your browser
    • add-ins in your browser
    • third party security software on your PC
    • third party privacy software on your PC
    • network security software (firewalls, proxies, etc...)
    • some configurations of ad blocking software
    One thing to check is whether you can stay logged in to other web-sites like Yahoo Mail or Google Mail to see whether it's specific to this web-site or all web-sites.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    As Andy said, a login gets lost when the login cookie gets blocked, deleted or removed. Subsequent page loads don't see the login cookie and they think you must login again. The kinds of things that could cause the cookie to get lost include:

* settings in your browser
    * add-ins in your browser
    * third party security software on your PC
    * third party privacy software on your PC
    * network security software (firewalls, proxies, etc...)
    * some configurations of ad blocking software

One thing to check is whether you can stay logged in to other web-sites like Yahoo Mail or Google Mail to see whether it's specific to this web-site or all web-sites.

Thanks to you & Andy. It only happens with DGrin. Not a teensy bit of trouble elsewhere. It seems better today so far, but again although I WAS logged in before replying I had to login AGAIN just to reply. I use the latest version of Firefox, plus Adaware Plus and Lavasoft firewall on XPSP2.

This is a second send. I was logged out before I could send it the first time. Then there was an error message that the thread couldn't be found, and indeed it had disappeared from the list. But here I am again, two logins later about to be asked to login again, I expect...!

Yes, as I predicted.... third login...!

Error page got me here. Where this will go now I have no idea. Another login coming up...!

• Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks to you & Andy. It only happens with DGrin. Not a teensy bit of trouble elsewhere. It seems better today so far, but again although I WAS logged in before replying I had to login AGAIN just to reply. I use the latest version of Firefox, plus Adaware Plus and Lavasoft firewall on XPSP2.

This is a second send. I was logged out before I could send it the first time. Then there was an error message that the thread couldn't be found, and indeed it had disappeared from the list. But here I am again, two logins later about to be asked to login again, I expect...!

Yes, as I predicted.... third login...!

Error page got me here. Where this will go now I have no idea. Another login coming up...!

There's a chance that your dgrin cookie is somehow corrupted. I'd suggest that first you see if the problem happens with IE. If not, then we can focus on some sort of Firefox-specific thing. If it does happen with IE, then it's probably some sort of system/network configuration thing.

If it is only in Firefox, then you probably want to clear your cache and then clear all your cookies or just remove all cookies related to dgrin if you don't want to get rid of all of them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    There's a chance that your dgrin cookie is somehow corrupted. I'd suggest that first you see if the problem happens with IE. If not, then we can focus on some sort of Firefox-specific thing. If it does happen with IE, then it's probably some sort of system/network configuration thing.

If it is only in Firefox, then you probably want to clear your cache and then clear all your cookies or just remove all cookies related to dgrin if you don't want to get rid of all of them.
    I wonder if Neil's done this? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I wonder if Neil's done this? ear.gif
    Taken me a while to respond...

You know, geekdom is not everyone's favorite
    destination, though going to DGrin is a lot of fun!
    Your response to the difficulties and frustration that
    Dgrin was presenting to me, namely that the fault was
    with me, was as I commented not very helpful. And it
    was not followed up in the concerned and useful way
    that I was anticipating it might be. In my view that
    is a loss for you.

In fact, the solution for me I discovered was to check the
    "Remember me" box when logging in. Everything then
    works fine. So simple, but never suggested. If you arrange your cookies to function in
    this fashion, or Firefox (though I found the same
    problems using IE) responds to your site in such a
    way, I think it was jumping the gun a little to place
    the fault with me. Perhaps you might make it clear
    somewhere that it might be necessary on some machines
    to check this option for login and navigation to work
    properly.

The negatives over, I should like to congratulate you
    and your team for the great site/s you offer. They
    look beautiful and offer such versatility of options
    and use they really amaze me!

With thanks and best wishes.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    works fine. So simple, but never suggested.

I'm glad you got it figured out. Thanks for the follow-up.

Techno-talk follows. Feel free to skip.

Hmmm, the "remember me" option is supposed to control whether the login cookie is stored persistently on disk (so that it can last beyond one browser session) or just temporarily in memory where it would only be active during the current browser session. Not selecting it, is not supposed to lead to the behavior you described (since that is hardly useful to anyone) which is probably why we didn't think to mention it - our bad.

When you don't select that checkbox, you should just have to login once after you close and re-open your browser, not every time you go from one page to another. Technically this option tells the browser to keep the cookie in memory, but not write it to disk. When the application quits, all cookies in memory are forgotten - all cookies on disk are still there for the next session.

So, apparently your configuration isn't keeping dgrin cookies in memory for some reason. Odd, but it sounds like you figured out how to make it work, so that's good.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2007

"So, apparently your configuration isn't keeping dgrin cookies in memory for some reason. "

You mean, I think, YOUR configuration is having that effect on my systems, at home and at work?

• Options
    edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:

works fine. So simple

:cry Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees! I wish I'd have thought of that - but in truth, I've never in 4 years come across this problem with anyone on Dgrin, so I had no experience in troubleshooting it... I'm so very glad you are "in business" on Dgrin now thumb.gif