Options

getting my flash off camera

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 3, 2007 in Technique
Would the most economical way to get my flash off the camera be to use a cord of some sort? (Canon 580 EX II with 40D)
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Would the most economical way to get my flash off the camera be to use a cord of some sort? (Canon 580 EX II with 40D)

Yes. A simple PC cord will do the trick if all you need is to trigger it. They are reasonably cheap and you can find (or make) long ones. When using a PC cord you have to put the flash in manual mode.

For a bit more money you can get a cord which hooks to the hot shoe and will give you metered off camera flash. I have one of those, but it is short enough to only really be useful when the flash is on a bracket.

The next step up from there is an ST-E2 which gives you an optical wireless connection for both triggering and metering. If you can swing one of those, it'll open a large world of possibilities.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Hmmm...guess I need to start doing some reading!

Since I just "swung" for a 40D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 85 1.8 and 580 EX II, I don't think I'll be picking up an ST-E2 for awhile! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Yup. Get a PC cord and something to hold your flash, set it to manual and you're in business. If you don't have a flash meter, it may take a little time and effort to dial in the flash intensity, but it's not very hard. Set the flash power, take a shot and look at your histogram (you should pretty much ignore your LCD image for exposure considerations). If you've blown the highlights, lower your power. If it's under-exposed, increase your flash power. Take another shot.

Oh, and don't shoot directly at your subject but bounce your flash. But you already know this - don't you!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    To add to Scott's good post.
    Stobes power settings are usually controlled by full stops. If you just want your light to be a tad bit stonger or softer. Just move the strobe's relative distance closer or further. to fine tune your lighting.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I got one of these for my Vivitar:

http://flashzebra.com/screwlock_pc_fivemeter/0034.shtml

The screw lock feature comes in real handy.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Eric&Susan wrote:

Eric

Hey, that looks cool! Thanks for the link! thumb.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Eric&Susan wrote:

Eric
    Hey Eric,

I looked around that site. They have some great stuff! Thanks for supplying that link!
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Hey Eric,

I looked around that site. They have some great stuff! Thanks for supplying that link!

Thanks it is a pretty new site according to the owner, Lon. He hangs out at POTN and really seems to know what he is talking about.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    To add to Scott's good post.
    Stobes power settings are usually controlled by full stops. If you just want your light to be a tad bit stonger or softer. Just move the strobe's relative distance closer or further. to fine tune your lighting.

The 580EX (both versions) can be controlled in 1/3 stop increments from full to 1/128 power. Once you have used one, you get spoiled by the level of control you have.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The 580EX (both versions) can be controlled in 1/3 stop increments from full to 1/128 power. Once you have used one, you get spoiled by the level of control you have.
    Good to know. Thanks LA.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Hmmm...guess I need to start doing some reading!

Since I just "swung" for a 40D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 85 1.8 and 580 EX II, I don't think I'll be picking up an ST-E2 for awhile! :D

Congradulations Elaine!!thumb.gif I know you wanted to switch systems for awhile. You really jumped in whole hog huh?.bowdown.gif .....Elaine must have been a good gal this year.

The 580 is VERY adjustable!! I won't add to the off camera suggestions since you already have gotten correct info on that. But I will ask.....doncha think that 85mm is sWeeeeeeeet!!!!?

I cannot wait to see what you produce with these!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Congradulations Elaine!!thumb.gif I know you wanted to switch systems for awhile. You really jumped in whole hog huh?.bowdown.gif .....Elaine must have been a good gal this year.

The 580 is VERY adjustable!! I won't add to the off camera suggestions since you already have gotten correct info on that. But I will ask.....doncha think that 85mm is sWeeeeeeeet!!!!?

I cannot wait to see what you produce with these!!!clap.gif

Thanks, Jeff! My gear arrives by Wednesday! wings.gif I figured it would be too frustrating to go into it without enough to really get me going. I'm sure I'll agree with you that the 85 is a sweeeeeet lens! I'm very excited about that one. My favorite portrait lens right now is my 90mm macro 2.8, but it is SLOW, so having a similar type of lens that's meant to be fast sounds dreamy! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. I have two Christmas card shoots planned for next weekend, so Thurs and Fri will be spent reading and playing.
    Elaine