And for something a bit different

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited December 4, 2007 in Holy Macro
Here is something different I shot just this morning. It is called an Owl fly. I kind of like it for something a bit different.
sorry I have been a bit quiet of late. 9 Days working straight and I have been pretty stuffed. Not used to this after 5 years retirement:-)

227345744-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    Here is something different I shot just this morning. It is called an Owl fly. I kind of like it for something a bit different.
    sorry I have been a bit quiet of late. 9 Days working straight and I have been pretty stuffed. Not used to this after 5 years retirement:-)

Ohhhhhh that is a very pretty looking Fly.
    Is this species only found in certain areas ???
    I've never seen one before eek7.gif
    My goosh it's pretty!

Thanks for sharing, glad you did clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Is this species only found in certain areas ???

Thanks for sharing, glad you did clap.gif .... Skippy :D

Just looked it up according to the map they are found in the upper tip of Australia ..... too far away dang it! ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Strange, they are here in southern NSW at our local Lake called Lake Albert, (Hardly a lake, more like a big dam) You just never know what you mimght find until you go out and about:D
    Thanks again for having a look Skippy.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Wagga Wagga Fly?
    Those bulbs on the antennas don’t look very aerodynamic. Have never seen anything like it, very cool though. Almost every time I am out side if I just stop look and pay attention I see something new. Thanks for sharing. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Wonderfull capture and a wonderful looking bug :)
    Brian V.
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Beautiful subject and image.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited December 1, 2007
    Those bulbs on the antennas don’t look very aerodynamic. Have never seen anything like it, very cool though. Almost every time I am out side if I just stop look and pay attention I see something new. Thanks for sharing. MM

I agree, it does seem to defy all the laws of Aerofynamics. Even though it was reasonably warm, it tollerated me being quite close and I was able to take my time setting up as against a quick grab shot. Thanks all for looking I am pleased you enjoyed something different. This area we go has such an abundance of insect life yet 30 meters either side or around the other side of the lake, very little.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Wow very cool!! It always seems that in Oz nature throws together the neatest combination of animal parts to make new ones. :D Is it a moth? A butterfly? A dragonfly? thumb.gif
    edited December 1, 2007
    I believe they are part of the [SIZE=+2]Ascalaphidae Family.

Closely related to the Ant Lion fly. They are certainly found in the USA so are not unique to Australia.

A quick Google search will result in many thousands of hits.

Thank you for your comments
    [/SIZE]
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Wow! That's a beautiful bug and a beautiful shot of it! It does look like it's been put together with some spare parts. Great capture! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Great capture. Does look like it's a combination of a few different creatures.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Beautiful shot....I agree with Skippy its such a pretty fly....never seen the like here in Sweden.....Thank you for sharing!!!

Patricia..........:D
    edited December 4, 2007
    Thank you Patricia, Elaine and Gary. It is great to have this feed back and know some one enjoys one of my photos. I had not seen or heard of this fly till the morning I shot it. I am not sure how rare it is but it seems it is in the USA as well from what I have Googled.