Macro convertor or close up filter ?

harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited December 1, 2007 in Cameras
Hi Guys and Gals

I'd like to be able to take shots like this one which was taken with a Sigma Sd14 and I'm assuming a macro lens.

227378259-L.jpg

As I've splashed out some serious money for the Oly 35-100F2 and I don;t want to spend anymore buying another lens. Oly have 2 macro lenses - the 50mm F2 mid-pro lens (£400) and the 150
F2 macro top-pro (same build quality to my 35-100) but its even more expensive at £1800.00 - how they can justify that amount for a prime is beyond me !!???

I was wondering if a close up filter fitted to the 35-100F2 would produce the same results or perhaps I should go for the Olympus closeup convertor but that seems to only allow manual focusing ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

The 35-100F2 - closest focusing is 1.4m, so about 4ft.

Cheers

Harj

:thumb :D

Comments

• joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    harjtt wrote:
    I was wondering if a close up filter fitted to the 35-100F2 would produce the same results or perhaps I should go for the Olympus closeup convertor but that seems to only allow manual focusing ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?thumb.gif:D

Close up filters will get you a little closer, they are basically just a magnifying glass on the front of your lens the strongest ones will cause bad effects, separation of colours and strange fringing.

I would recommend a set of extension tubes, they allow you to move the lens away from the body and shoot much closer. I don't know what mount you use but kenko make a good set for most cameras. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=ps&sq=desc&ac=&bsi=&shs=extension+tube&ci=276&fakeSubmitButton=Submit
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]