Misty night before Thanksgiving

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited December 2, 2007 in Landscapes
Forgot I had taken this.

Over Thanksgiving while at the in-laws, we got to see a super misty night. However, as I was out there trying to compose the shot in the dark and the long exposures, I found the mist running away :(. Took the shot at a little after midnight.

224303118-L-1.jpg

C&C always welcomed. And thanks for looking.
Travis

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I like the mist and general composition, but I feel like I'm tilted, but I think it's due to the road.

And if you didn't tell me the time, I would have thought that you took it early morning and not midnight.

nice job!thumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I still think you were nuts standing out there shivering in the dark with the sheep baaaaa-ing at you! lol3.gif

I agree with April: if I knew nothing I'd have thought this was just before dawn. I love misty shots but scarcely am ever in a place to photograph it.

What I would have done differently was move down the driveway and into the road, maybe all the way to the opposite curb to bring more of the house and the barn into view. The lawn in the foreground doesn't do much for me, and neither does the asphalt. But I always love John's antique tractor and barn plus he has a really nice pasture out back so I think the mist would have complimented all of that nicely.

My two cents of course. :D
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Aktse - I actually leveled the shot based on the roof line of the barn as I was on a hill and that was the only thing that was at the correct perspective for me. As Schmoo said, I should have moved out into the road (not like I'm gonna get hit in a court at midnight in the middle of nowhere mwink.gif ). And I love taking long exposures at night, but I need to figure out how to keep the "night time" feel to them. Thanks for lookin!

Schmoo - Thanks for the opinions. Though I still think you should have been out there with me so I could see your version. Little miss "I'm gonna stay warm and talk with my parents and be comfy." :D:D
    Travis
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    And I love taking long exposures at night, but I need to figure out how to keep the "night time" feel to them.

Hey Travis,

If you want it to look like night, keep some dark dark shadows in there. And don't for get some directional lightthumb.gif This will give you something to do during those long exposuresmwink.gif

Cool scene though!
    edited December 1, 2007
    Hey Travis,

If you want it to look like night, keep some dark dark shadows in there. And don't for get some directional lightthumb.gif This will give you something to do during those long exposuresmwink.gif

Cool scene though!

Thanks Marc! What do you mean by directional light? As in taking it into account? The moon was pretty bright and over my right shoulder, but with the mist it diffused it completely so the light was coming from everywhere. Which is one of the things I thought was neat about the mist at night.
    Travis
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Thanks Marc! What do you mean by directional light? As in taking it into account? The moon was pretty bright and over my right shoulder, but with the mist it diffused it completely so the light was coming from everywhere. Which is one of the things I thought was neat about the mist at night.

Directional light could be the light from a flash light or strobe or something to illuminate part of the scene. This will also help create shadows. I agree that the difussed light is cool in this scene, but I was commenting on making it look more like night. At first, I also thought this was taken at duskheadscratch.gif
    edited December 2, 2007
    Directional light could be the light from a flash light or strobe or something to illuminate part of the scene. This will also help create shadows. I agree that the difussed light is cool in this scene, but I was commenting on making it look more like night. At first, I also thought this was taken at duskheadscratch.gif

Ahh, makes sense now. I'll try that for a shot not of my in-laws neighbors house at midnight mwink.gif I think they may have objected a bit do me illuminating their house at that hour rolleyes1.gif

Actually there's a dam near here that I think that would work great for... Have to check to see if the park is open after dark. Thanks!
    Travis