Incompatibility between the Sigma 105mm, Nikon D40X and Kenko tubes?

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited December 2, 2007 in Holy Macro
Is anyone using this exact setup?

I just went to the camera store today with my Sigma Lense and D40X. I wanted to try out the Kenko tubes before I bought them. When I put one of the rings on I could focus manually okay...but when I went to take a shot, I got an error message saying something like "Please lock the fstop to highest value". We tried that on the lens but the error message wouldn't go away. Could not take a photo.

I am not sure why this would matter. As I am typing this I am thinking maybe I needed ti have he camera in full manual mode?
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Fraid I don't have any experience with Nikon equipment but you would need to check that in manual mode you had control of the aperture with the ext tube fitted - sounds likely that the aperture control was not working.

Further thought - might be that they just were not contacting properly- I normally find with ext tubes that with both the ext tube and the lens I need to rotate them in until they click and then rotate them slightly in the opposite direction. Can't find anything on the web about a specific problem with the D40X and Kenko ext tubes.

Brian V.