TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited December 1, 2007 in Technique
appreciated!
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I think you did post the original in the right subforum the first time, so I'll move this there and delete the duplicate for you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Hey friend, the first thing I would do is get a decent tripod. I love my ball-head, so I'll recommend getting one too. Then get a remote shutter release, non-mechanical. if you can afford wireless then do it, but otherwise a decent one should be around $30. This is the only way to get sharp pictures in low light, and you'll be using longer exposures later so it will be a must.

Then, search around here on Dgrin. there's a ton of good info on nigh shooting and a lot of amazing pics.

Your pic is a good start. However, with the abovementioned equipment you could have avoided using ISO1600 and kept it tack-sharp.

It looks like you can definitely get some nice shots of that building--it's pretty cool lighting.

keep those night pics coming and post them up on the night-shooting thread!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72999&page=5
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    schmoo, thanks
    izzy, thanks
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    i
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Also check out this thread. It has some great discussion about different settings you can use for some crisp night shots, as well as several examples. thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 1, 2007
    The cheapest way to dramatically improve the quality of your lenses is a first rate tripod that you use.

I am just as guilty of not using a tripod as often as I should way too often.

I lost a few frames yesterday in downtown Toronto that - had I used a tripod - would have been real keepers, but now they are just snapshots, and I have no one to blame but myself for not setting up a tripod in the middle of the sidewalk in a busy downtown street:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    thanks all,
    Aaron Nelson