Possible entries for LPS17

jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
edited December 3, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Help me out on choosing here. I have two shots that I like for entering in LPS17. What does anyone else think?

227602121-L.jpg

227602135-L.jpg

I'll probably be doing another shoot (same place) tomorrow, any suggestions?

Which one do you like?

Thanks!

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    They are interesting, but some technical faults (mostly blown out highlights) maybe dial down the exposure? As far as the subject is concerned... well there is no clear subject. Unless you're shooting landscapes, try to find a specific subject to foxus on, and make sure the background or other objects are not "crowding" it. Took me a while to learn that lesson.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I like the first one best. I like the angle and distinctiveness of the items. Please excuse me for not being able to put into better words, I'm still new. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    jziegler wrote:
    Help me out on choosing here. I have two shots that I like for entering in LPS17. What does anyone else think?

I'll probably be doing another shoot (same place) tomorrow, any suggestions?

Which one do you like?

Thanks!

I think a re shoot is a great idea! if you have to shoot on an overcast day try to avoid shooting the sky all together... watch your exposure and look for a well defined subject for your shot as previosly suggested...

Good luck
    Winston
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    They are interesting, but some technical faults (mostly blown out highlights) maybe dial down the exposure? As far as the subject is concerned... well there is no clear subject. Unless you're shooting landscapes, try to find a specific subject to foxus on, and make sure the background or other objects are not "crowding" it. Took me a while to learn that lesson.

Thanks for the advice. I knew as soon as I pulled the files up on the computer about the blown highlights. Of course, weather today looks even worse....

I think that part of the problem with thrying to get a specific subject is just that the old barn is a little too far into decay? Being mostly a pile of rubble is tough to work with.

Does this work better as a subject for you:
    227780526-L-0.jpg

I know there are some technical issues (focus is soft....), but does it work better from a subject point of view?

A reshoot today is going to be tougher than I thought. The forecast is for freezing rain (I'd rather get snow) and my dad called right after I logged in here to say that my grandmother passed away this morning. It's going to be a tought day to get much done.

Thanks.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I don't know James, I'm just not feeling it... I don't know what the rusty thing is and the background feels to cluttered... Sorry to hear your Grandmother passed away, loosing family can be pretty rough on the living... :cry

Winston
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I would go into the log cabin when the sun hits it the right way and grab some photos from within.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I would go into the log cabin when the sun hits it the right way and grab some photos from within.

I was thinking about that on Saturday. (It's actually an old barn) There's lots of brush around it, I'd never consider going in during warmer months, lots of poison ivy. Plus, I've seen it fall in on itself over the last few years, it's pretty unstable. I'm not sure if there is a safe place to get in. But I will certainly consider it.

Winston,

The rusty thing is the thing that the used to hold a cow during milking. Don't know what they're called.