Options

Canon's new 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS Kit lens test

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited December 2, 2007 in Cameras
I've made crops of center and corner of the wall where I test lenses and such at several focal lengths and several apertures. You can also download the unprocessed JPEG shots from the RAW files at the end to view on your own image browser. I like Canon's zoombrowser b/c you can synchronize upto 4 images and view them at 100% while moving all the images around together and such.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/3918448#P-1-15

First of all, in terms of build feel, it's light and they have a paint that is blotchy like on the L lens barrels so it's not so smooth as before. Changing the rubber pattern on the zoom ring is a big improvement in making it feel like a more serious lens in the hand. The IS is dead silent, I can't tell if it's on. Initially I thought this was good but now I think it's a bad idea b/c unless I physically check the button with my finger while composing or look down, I can't tell if it's on or not. So at times, I had it on when I didn't need it but more importantly, it was off when I thought it was on. The MF and zoom rings are not damped so it feels cheap just like the old kit lens. AF speed and noise is about as same as the older kit lens.

Optically, it's not as sharp as I thought it would be. Perhaps due to my big expectations. It's still pretty nice and sharp with good contrast and responds well to sharpening but I'm finding that I have to sharpen a lot to get it the way I like. I don't find the corners getting soft that much just as the reviews from photozone and slrgear shows. There really isn't much if any CA. I didn't see any today shooting tree/leaves backlit by the sun or against the white sky The color cast seems about as same as other Canon lenses I've used, cooler than Sigma's and warmer than Tokinas. . Flare is also well controlled. I'm shooting without a hood and with a Hoya S-HMC (top of the line multicoated UV filter from Hoya).

Overall a very nice $180 walking around lens. From memory, a big immediately noticable improvement in IQ from the two kit lenses I've used in the past. I think this lens is the best bang for the bucks lens for a Canon dslr with a cropped sensor right now.
Here are some pics with the kit lens on it's first day out.
1. 227590514-L.jpg

2. 227603412-L.jpg

3. 227590624-L.jpg

4. 227591383-L.jpg

5. 227591503-L.jpg

6. 227591218-L.jpg

As for me, I pixel peep and measurbate the first day and once I'm happy, just shoot and that's what I intend to do with this lens from now on.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Nice write-up and test shots, Tom. It definitely looks like great bang for the buck. At least IS doesn't usually hurt you if you leave it on accidentally, just sucks a bit more battery. I don't think you often use a tripod, which is the only time it might introduce some noise.
    Chris
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I got a nice work around for it. In Custom function 4-1, you focus with the thumb. You keep the IS on at all times and In one shot mode, you just press the AF with the thumb once to get focus and if you want Is just keep the focus botton pressed in and the IS will activate.

Simple enough.