Daddy's little princess

ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
edited March 19, 2004 in People
Here is a picture I took of my daughter last night.

2928504-M.jpg
I converted it to Black and White because of the flowers in the background seemed to distract from the shot and I did my first ever post processing blurring of the background.

I have a multitude of crops of this shot but I thought I would share this version. Opinions on the blurring? Is it overdone I think it seems ok but I am a noob.

And is it obvious to an experienced eye that I did this?

Click on pic for original size.

Cheers
Tim

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Opinions on the blurring? Is it overdone I think it seems ok but I am a noob.
    Tim,

Very lovely photo. Then again it would be tough to take a bad picture of something so pretty!

I think the blurred background looks great.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 18, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

2928504-M.jpg
    I converted it to Black and White because of the flowers in the background seemed to distract from the shot and I did my first ever post processing blurring of the background.

I have a multitude of crops of this shot but I thought I would share this version. Opinions on the blurring? Is it overdone I think it seems ok but I am a noob.

Cheers
    Tim
    Tim - She is gorgeous. Did you blur with the Lens Blur Filter or the Gaussian blur filter? The reason for my question is that if you selected around your daughter completely you could paint in a new background from another picture and solve the background problem completely -- The clone tool can clone from one picture to another top do this - also she could be rotated horizontally to give more space in the frame for her to look into, rather than right at the edge of the frame and give more room for her beauty to shine into. Just a thought......lickout.gif And no it is not obvious that you have blurred the background to me either.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    Well thanks guys , I sure am proud of her.

Pathfinder I used the Guassian blur and I use a Corel program so most of this is self taught. Not as many online tutorials for Corel as Adobe
    I never thought of cloning a new background, thanks I will have to try that.

Tim
    edited March 18, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Well thanks guys , I sure am proud of her.

Pathfinder I used the Guassian blur and I use a Corel program so most of this is self taught. Not as many online tutorials for Corel as Adobe
    I never thought of cloning a new background, thanks I will have to try that.

Tim
    Here are two images I shot in Sante Fe I think years ago. In the portrait image I just selected the head and shoulders and used a gradient filter for a background and have a nice isolation.
    2934712-M.jpg

with new gradient background

2934715-M.jpg

Here is a torso original

2934714-M.jpg

Not a bad image but too much tile and post I think so-- about a nice fall background.....

2934713-M.jpg

I keep an eye open for nice evenly lit backgrounds and try to collect them for later use - skies, autumn forests, brick walls etc.... Give it a whirl lickout.gif

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    you skeer me, pathfinder.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    Ok, I want to learn how to do all that stuff, but in Gimp. headscratch.gif

That girl is a true beauty.. oh MAN are you gonna have trouble in a few very short years! mwink.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 19, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

Cheers
    Tim
    Tim,

Little beauty you have there!

The blur effect makes your daughter stand out. It's a great technique for
    keeping focus on the subject.

Thanks for sharing.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    you skeer me, pathfinder.
    'Cause I like stautes?cool2.gif ????