Noob - My Passion, Surfing photos

ShanerShaner Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited December 3, 2007 in Sports
Hey everyone, my first post on here and I love the forum layout. I'm looking forward to learning a lot and seeing some inspiring photos. Just wanted to throw a few of my recent up...

p7081150-4.jpg
p193388336-4.jpg
?photo=h1B8498A6#461674662
p461674662-3.jpg
p256029734-4.jpg

p780521479-4.jpg

Comments

• Option1Option1 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Like the first one and the second last one - different and interesting. The rest don't quite work for me. Mainly, I find the focus a bit off on some of them and they're a bit dark for my tastes.

Neil
    :: Sports: CompetitionImages.com :: Words: Blog :: Nature: www.motifwebs.com ::
  • ShanerShaner Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Option1 wrote:
    Like the first one and the second last one - different and interesting. The rest don't quite work for me. Mainly, I find the focus a bit off on some of them and they're a bit dark for my tastes.

Neil
    Thanks for the compliments and the critique. I'm finding it difficult to really focus in the early mornings. Typically the surf is best when the wind is down and that's usually between sunrise and 10 am or so. Those zoom photos are my first times out with a 300mm, the first two being a nikkor very early in the morning and the other 3 taken with a sigma I picked up recently and shot in the afternoon towards sunset. I'm hoping on getting out this week and spending some more time with the camera and 300mm. I'm pretty new to this and manual settings are quite tricky still so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 3, 2007
    your light and composition are good stuff nod.gif

on the technique side, easy if you've got the above two down, all i can suggest is a tripod or monopod - 300mm is a long way and really intensifies any shake. alternately, don't let your shutter speed go below 1/500 or so, which can be very hard at dawn.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]