Options

SmugMug Printing problems: request advice.

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited December 4, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi all

Looking for some advice here.

I have had a customer return some prints printed with the AUTO setting and had them printed with TRUE color and still was not happy. Prints were too flat in first set then too dark in second set.

I printed them with my Epson 1800 on Red River Polar Satin paper with a ICC profile for the paper and they are perfect.

Now I know this is not a SmugMug problem and I am not complaining, I just would like to get this solved so I can avoid the problem in the future.

My workflow involves bringing the entire batch into Lighroom and making adjustments. Usually tweaking exposure and boosting saturation and clarity a bit. I then export them to a folder and upload to SmugMug.

I am exporting in whatever LR's default is.

In the prints I do at home I open them in PhotoShop and crop to specific sizes the customer wants and print. My prints at home are always very close to what I see on my screen.

So what am i doing wrong with the files I upload for SM? I am on a Vista PC if that matters.
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Link to the photos in question please, that's a great starting point.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Link to the photos in question please, that's a great starting point.

Sorry, never thought...

http://www.kootenayphotography.com/gallery/3767354#217547740
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Make sure your...
    Color space is set to sRGB when uploading to your SM accountfrom Lightroom. My guess is it is not.

Michael

Montec wrote:
    Hi all

Looking for some advice here.

I have had a customer return some prints printed with the AUTO setting and had them printed with TRUE color and still was not happy. Prints were too flat in first set then too dark in second set.

I printed them with my Epson 1800 on Red River Polar Satin paper with a ICC profile for the paper and they are perfect.

Now I know this is not a SmugMug problem and I am not complaining, I just would like to get this solved so I can avoid the problem in the future.

My workflow involves bringing the entire batch into Lighroom and making adjustments. Usually tweaking exposure and boosting saturation and clarity a bit. I then export them to a folder and upload to SmugMug.

I am exporting in whatever LR's default is.

In the prints I do at home I open them in PhotoShop and crop to specific sizes the customer wants and print. My prints at home are always very close to what I see on my screen.

So what am i doing wrong with the files I upload for SM? I am on a Vista PC if that matters.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Color space is set to sRGB when uploading to your SM accountfrom Lightroom. My guess is it is not.

Michael

sRGB is the default if he's uploading from the web module.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/