Psycodelia is back

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited December 17, 2007 in Holy Macro
If you are as old as I am you may remember the light shows that many pop groups used :)

These are shots of interference colours in soap films. Been doing these during some especially nasty wet/windy weather here- just about got the hang of them on the third go.

Brian V.

Click on Pics for larger size

2082703569_059575ca32.jpg

2082703903_b3f32f21dc.jpg

2083488420_5a00cd8db1.jpg

2082704931_4e34cffcae.jpg

2082705573_e69d614ae4.jpg

Comments

• eggbanjoeggbanjo Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Wow, very trippy.
    Excellent series of shots Brian.
    Gary
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    If you are as old as I am you may remember the light shows that many pop groups used :)

These are shots of interference colours in soap films. Been doing these during some especially nasty wet/windy weather here- just about got the hang of them on the third go.

Brian V.

Click on Pics for larger size

Ohhhhhhh boy oh boy, these are amazing Brian eek7.gif
    Beautiful patterns and colour, you just continue to amaze me as to what you can find to photograph.

Just Beautiful ... I'm truly amazed clap.gif :ivar .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 3, 2007
    Groovy. rolleyes1.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Far out, man. :cool Really excellent shots.
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the kind compliments everyone :D

These things are amazing hypnotic to watch through the viewfinder as the colours swirl around and the patterns continuously change.
    Brian V.
  • toofasttoofast Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    You do these w/ soap?? Looks crazy!
    Nikon D40x -- AF-S Nikkor 18-135mm
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    These things are amazing hypnotic to watch through the viewfinder as the colours swirl around and the patterns continuously change.

I would imagine it's difficult to remember to hit the shutter every now and then! lol3.gif

Beautiful dicovery, Brian! These are so perfect it's hard to believe they're photographs.
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    These are beautiful!!!

Been a lurker for a while now, but today I got all inspired and tried my hand at soap films too - came out okay, but thanks to the poor (sun)light and my crude set-up I had to step down f/2.8 and so mine have poor DOF and look a bit fuzzy. But I had a lot of fun!

Here's one sample:

228356722-M.jpg

Your work is truly amazing (not to mention inspiring!), Brian!

Sunita
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Way trippy, far out man Groooovy.....FANTASTIC PICS LV!!!!!bowdown.gifbowthumb.gifthumb

Ohh yes I remember the light shows....those were the days, I am told :D of course I have also heard if you remember them you weren't really there:D:D

Your using soap...is that dish soap (like dawn) or what kind and upon what is it floating on (glass...water in a glass container).....how lit?......ambient.... flash??

Please do tell.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 4, 2007
    Thanks again for the comments everyone :)
    Sunita- excellent shot - took me three sessions and about 150 pics before I started getting reasonable shots :)- all the shots are crops BTW because it's just about impossible to get a flat FOV doing this.

Scott - I was using a 150watt halogen bulb to light the bubbles/soap films. The lamp had my normal kitchen towel over it to diffuse it but you have to be careful as these things get very hot. It was very close to the bubble/soap film. I was either blowing bubbles onto a pre-wetted plastic lid (bubbles about 2-3" in diameter) or using a wire loop to pick up a soap film.
    I was using washing up detergent in a very strong slightly thick mix. I still have a bottle of "Joy" detergent we bought in the US about 18 years ago after finding out it was what the professional bubble blower was using in a theme park there :)- suspect that doesn't really matter though.
    The main problem is that the best colour is always seen at an angle from the soap film so you can't shoot at right angles to the film, and also you need the lens very close to the direction of the light source. Only time in macro I thought a tilt/shift lens might be useful.

Brian V.
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Wow, I absolutely love these. Thanks for sharing, and for the shooting tips! I have a feeling that lack of funds is not going to keep me from a macro lens for very long, especially if you keep posting. :)
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Thanks again for the comments everyone :)
    Sunita- excellent shot - took me three sessions and about 150 pics before I started getting reasonable shots :)- all the shots are crops BTW because it's just about impossible to get a flat FOV doing this.

Scott - I was using a 150watt halogen bulb to light the bubbles/soap films. The lamp had my normal kitchen towel over it to diffuse it but you have to be careful as these things get very hot. It was very close to the bubble/soap film. I was either blowing bubbles onto a pre-wetted plastic lid (bubbles about 2-3" in diameter) or using a wire loop to pick up a soap film.
    I was using washing up detergent in a very strong slightly thick mix. I still have a bottle of "Joy" detergent we bought in the US about 18 years ago after finding out it was what the professional bubble blower was using in a theme park there :)- suspect that doesn't really matter though.
    The main problem is that the best colour is always seen at an angle from the soap film so you can't shoot at right angles to the film, and also you need the lens very close to the direction of the light source. Only time in macro I thought a tilt/shift lens might be useful.

Brian V.

Thanx Brian.....I know all about the ehat of a halogen lamp.....mine are all 500 watts so I will need to go to wally world or harbour freight to see if I can find a 100 or 150 watt....this looks like so much fun for the comming grey period of what they call winter in Kansas.

Thanx again
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 4, 2007
    Thanks, Brian!

I too got about 12 reasonable ones out of 200 shots - had to crop most of them a little to remove the dark corners/edges.
    Here are some more at: http://sunita.smugmug.com/gallery/3933075

I handheld the soap film at an angle to the sunlight against a black background and held it as close to teh camera as possible. I set up the camera on a mini-tripod. I read somewhere on the web that adding sugar/glycerin to the soap solution increases the lifetime of the film. I guess that too helped a little.
    edited December 4, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    Thanks, Brian!

I too got about 12 reasonable ones out of 200 shots - had to crop most of them a little to remove the dark corners/edges.
    Here are some more at: http://sunita.smugmug.com/gallery/3933075

I handheld the soap film at an angle to the sunlight against a black background and held it as close to teh camera as possible. I set up the camera on a mini-tripod. I read somewhere on the web that adding sugar/glycerin to the soap solution increases the lifetime of the film. I guess that too helped a little.
    Some lovely patterns and colours you captured there - congrats :)
    Brian V.
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Love these Brian...bet once you start its hard to stop with the everchanging colors....another wanna do to add to my list...thanks need lots of rainy grey day ideas as we are getting far too many of them at the moment!!!

Sunita...Just had apeep at yours...lovely colors and shapes...you did really well!!!

Patricia...........:D
    edited December 4, 2007
    Thanks, Patricia and Brian. Glad you like them. :)

My next goal is try my hand at dew drops - it's going to be quite a challenge - am just not a morning person - sigh! :(:
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Beautiful images. I did a science project in school (a LONG time ago) envolving soap bubbles. I have always thought they were beautiful. Now I have a good excuse to start experimenting with them again.mwink.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007

Brian V.

Ok, Now I know my wife is going to shoot you. :)

How do you do these? Is this with dish soap or a special soap? I always wondered if they were different oils or paints. I was running around in diapers when this stuff was hot, but I love color so I always admired that time in history. I like watching the bands on tv shows from that time, they always had the wild screen show in the back. It did make a revival a few years ago, but now its done with computers - doesn't have the same effect.

I love all your patterns you've shown. These are so wild.
    I've been experimenting (playing) with lots of indoor projects. Makes the hours fly by. :) I should get back to processing photos from a few months ago. hehe
    edited December 5, 2007
    Thanks for looking and commenting T and banjon :D .

Banjon- was just using fairly concentrated washingup detergent solutions for these and either photographing large bubbles or a film in a wire loop.

brian v.
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Stunning - simply stunning.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • ravicravic Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Great!
    Lovely colours. I like them so much. T4S
    edited December 17, 2007
    Thanks for the kind comments Glenn and Ravic
    Just trying to demonstrate some Winter "macro" ideas :)
    Brian V.