Finally getting the hang of basketball

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Sports
I think I'm finally starting to learn a thing or two about taking basketball photos... This was my fave photo from the game on December 1st between Valparaiso University Crusaders vs. Ball State Cardinals. (Valpo won) It probably helps that a) I get a press pass to sit on the sideline, b) I finally started shooting in full manual so much less blur! and c) got to talk to some of the more pro people...

Anyhoo, c&c welcomed:

227877721-L.jpg

More from that game and other recent games here:
http://shima.smugmug.com/Valparaiso_University/398614

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Shima,

I like the action you have captured here. A thing or two for your next outing. I would suggest you use a custom white balance shooting inside. You will notice the red present in the white net and the white uniforms. The cycling lights will give you this look. I did take some time to look through your gallery and noticed you were at f5.0 and 1/200s at 1600ISO. I know the Rebel can only shoot at 1600ISO but you are shooting with I believe an f/4 lens so you should be at f4. This will give you another stop in shutter speed to 1/320s, the lowest I would use for even youth basketball. This will help some with the motion blur you have in many of your shots.

This being college ball you will need the fastest shutter speed you can so get the lens opened all the way up and shoot the fastest shutter speed you can. I was just at the Valpo campus a few weeks ago, the gym looked like it was lit OK.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Shima,

I like the action you have captured here. A thing or two for your next outing. I would suggest you use a custom white balance shooting inside. You will notice the red present in the white net and the white uniforms. The cycling lights will give you this look. I did take some time to look through your gallery and noticed you were at f5.0 and 1/200s at 1600ISO. I know the Rebel can only shoot at 1600ISO but you are shooting with I believe an f/4 lens so you should be at f4. This will give you another stop in shutter speed to 1/320s, the lowest I would use for even youth basketball. This will help some with the motion blur you have in many of your shots.

This being college ball you will need the fastest shutter speed you can so get the lens opened all the way up and shoot the fastest shutter speed you can. I was just at the Valpo campus a few weeks ago, the gym looked like it was lit OK.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will give it a try at the game on the 8th!
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    You are welcome and good luck, hope to see your great results!
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    In addition to the white balance suggestion I would also add:

if you plan on continuing to shoot basketball I would strongly advise investing in a more appropriate lens for the sport. While the 70-200 f4 is an outstanding lens, 1/200 is a very slow shutter speed and the posted photo looks a good stop to stop and a half underexposed.

You really want the faces especially to be exposed properly. If you do that, the rest of the scene comes right along:
    226603480-L.jpg
    edited December 4, 2007
    johng wrote:
    In addition to the white balance suggestion I would also add:

if you plan on continuing to shoot basketball I would strongly advise investing in a more appropriate lens for the sport. While the 70-200 f4 is an outstanding lens, 1/200 is a very slow shutter speed and the posted photo looks a good stop to stop and a half underexposed.

You really want the faces especially to be exposed properly. If you do that, the rest of the scene comes right along:

Yeah I have the 70-200 f2.8/L on my wish list of next lens I want to buy, but it's way more money than I can afford... gotta finish paying off the current equipment
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    the good news
    All things being what they are the shot above is really good the composition and timing are great. So keep shooting with the f4 when you get the faster glass you'll be that much better.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    I just borrowed one for the 3 games I am shooting tomorrow :)
    Shima wrote:
    Yeah I have the 70-200 f2.8/L on my wish list of next lens I want to buy, but it's way more money than I can afford... gotta finish paying off the current equipment
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
    edited December 5, 2007
    I just borrowed one for the 3 games I am shooting tomorrow :)

Lucky! I look forward to the day I can afford one (or have a friend to borrow one from)...
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    Lucky! I look forward to the day I can afford one (or have a friend to borrow one from)...

It helps when you work for a company that has 40+ photohogs on staff, and buys your equipement for you ;)mwink.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM