If these halls could talk...they would deafen us all

mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited December 6, 2007 in Landscapes
The walls of this large asylum date back to before the civil war. It was the first in a public effort to get the "insane" off the streets and into a setting where they could be helped or at least monitored. Initial treatments included regular bathing, exercise, strict nutrition, and "moral advising". The early - mid 1900's saw the introduction of hydrotherapy, occupational therapy, heavy metal therapy,<SUP> </SUP>insulin therapy, and electroshock therapy in an effort to cure the mentally disabled. By the 1970's psychotherapy drugs were introduced deeming the large asylum campus unncessary as people could be given outpatient treatment. Many of these asylums are still around. Too expensive to maintain they sit in a state of disrepair. For over 150 years this place housed the "insane". If these halls could talk...

hosp66.jpg

hosp60.jpg

hosp57.jpg

hosp59.jpg

hosp55.jpg

hosp54.jpg

hosp46.jpg

hosp52.jpg

hosp44.jpg

hosp40.jpg

hosp38.jpg

hosp34.jpg

hosp33.jpg

hosp31.jpg

hosp23.jpg

hosp24.jpg

hosp28.jpg

hosp15.jpg

hosp13.jpg

hosp07.jpg

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Wow! These posts of yours are truly fascinating and thought provoking. It's so hard to imagine that at one time this building was new and taken care of and people lived there. That shot of the piano I found to be especially moving. I don't know how you find these places or dare to go in them, but I'm glad you're sharing this work.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I took a very slow walk through this series, and found lot's of cool things to look at. Thanks for posting.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Awesome awesome series. It evokes memories of all the grisly horror movies I watched with my son when he was growing up (especially the shot looking into and through the room with the gurney {5th from the end}). One expects a tall sinister character in a white lab coat smeared with blood and holding a scalpel to walk into the frame at any moment. :uhoh

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Wonderful shots.

I remember seeing something like this on the web that had very similar
    atmosphere. The only difference was there were still people there.

Really great, thought provoking pix for me.
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Wow. The one with the gurney really gets me. Another fantastic series, thank you so much for sharing.
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Very interesting images but it is your narative that captured me. Well Done.
    Albert
  • MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Just gorgeous.
    Keep 'em coming!
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Im stuned...This is just...

woah what a session! im so jealous that i havnt seen any place like this..mindblowing!
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    These are awesome. I love how you captured the textures and the decay. I think the first shot with the open doors down the hallway and the piano shot are my two favorites, but they're all spectacular.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    I know what I'm going to get you for Christmas this year!

(and I'm probably going to pick one up for myself, too. :uhoh)

Otherwise, totally great shots thumb.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 4, 2007
    wonderful thumb.gif

where is this building located?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Absolutely chilling shots! My heart clinched when I viewed the piano keyboard. The shots of the wheelchairs were heart-wrenching. Very, very effective series of shots. You really reached me with these!!! thumb.gif
  • mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. If my shots convey even 1/4 of the emotion and feeling I get from these places then my pictures are a success.
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Great shots and excellent series. Very throught provoking. thumb.gifthumb.gif

From a photographic stand point I really like the way you handled the shots with extreme lighting coming in from the windows and still being able to hold the detail in both the windows and the interior as well.

The first two and the one just above the hair dryer are great examples of what I'm talking about. Well done. thumb.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • 3n-out3n-out Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Woah - Cool Shots - Go there in the mid of night and take some shots. I bet there is a ton of paranormal activity there. :)
    If you don't have creative enthusiasum all you have is a camera in your hands!

My Webpage - http://www.3n-out.com
  • Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Very cool.
    Incredible shots. Its amazing to see how life has changed so much in our recent history, there are still people alive that remeber when this stuff was considered the best way to treat people.

Look like a place that I live near.
    Come check out my Artwork too. Graphite Renderings.
    http://www.LongRanch.com