Remotes?

natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited December 10, 2007 in Sports
Hi,

I am looking forward to shooting basketball this season and am looking into using a remote triggered camera... I have a spare 20D and digital rebel that I'd like to use to mount through or above the backboard... I've heard of this being done but I have no idea where to start. What equipment do I need? I've seen a lot about remote lighting, but I want to be shooting on the floor with a second camera and be able to press a button to trigger the camera as the athlete goes up for the shot... :dunno Help anyone? Any info will be helpful!

Thanks!
Nate
--
_:nod Nate____
Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
Speedlite 430 EX .
Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .

Comments

• UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/ssacad3_remotes_bert/index.html

That's a great series of videos about what equipment you'll need and basic set up.

I've never actually set up my own remotes but I've helped a few times and from what I gathered what you'll need is pocket wizards (or some other radio trigger if you don't want to hard wire), magic arm, super clamp, and lots and lots of safety cables!

Hope you get to set up some remotes, they're really a lot of fun! wings.gif
  • natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    UT Scott wrote:
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/ssacad3_remotes_bert/index.html

That's a great series of videos about what equipment you'll need and basic set up.

I've never actually set up my own remotes but I've helped a few times and from what I gathered what you'll need is pocket wizards (or some other radio trigger if you don't want to hard wire), magic arm, super clamp, and lots and lots of safety cables!

Hope you get to set up some remotes, they're really a lot of fun! wings.gif
    Awesome! I had watched that video before but didn't bookmark it and couldn't find it... Thanks.wings.gif

More info would be greatly appreciated from anyone, especially those with experience!!:ivar
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    The sportshooter article on remote shooting is the bible and answers most questions on how-to. The very first and most important thing you will need is....insurance! Don't even think about this without carrying around two million in liability insurance. I would hope you would not want to jeopardize your home, vehicles, equipment on the chance something falls, breaks, etc.

I am not being flippant about the information you want, just please don't look beyond what is important here.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    If its a cheap camera remote your after then i bought one of these & its fantastic. I wanted it for big arsed lighning storms when i really should be in the car a safe distance from the tripod.

Ive used it at well over 150 feet & its great.