Options

Gel conversion chart?

jackedwardsjackedwards Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited December 3, 2007 in Technique
Hello, does anyone know of a link to gel conversion chart? I want to see how each gel affects each type of lighting and which ones will match my flash to the existing light. Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Jack

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I've never heard of anything quite like what your asking about. There are hundreds of gel variances made by quite a few manufacturers. The same name gels also vary slighly from manufatcurer to manufacturer. i.e. Lee bastard red looks quite different from Rosco bastard red.

The main problem with something like this is even if you have a chart like this that shows how gels convert light (say, to a pure white target). As soon as you change the color and/or the density of the target, the appearant reflected color will change.

Make sense?

-Jon
  • Options
    jackedwardsjackedwards Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Yeah i guess im just trying to learn which gels do what. Mainly for wedding photography, id like to know which gels will match Florescent light, incandescent Etc. Ive got a couple sample packs which are great for velcrowing over the flash head. I read recently that if you match the existing lighting in cetain complicated situations with a gel over your flash its allot easier to fix post. I Was hoping to test it out. But i dont know which gels change what color.
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've never heard of anything quite like what your asking about. There are hundreds of gel variances made by quite a few manufacturers. The same name gels also vary slighly from manufatcurer to manufacturer. i.e. Lee bastard red looks quite different from Rosco bastard red.

The main problem with something like this is even if you have a chart like this that shows how gels convert light (say, to a pure white target). As soon as you change the color and/or the density of the target, the appearant reflected color will change.

Make sense?

-Jon
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    It makes it so much easier in post, it's not even funny.

Try going to the Photography 101 link in my sig. Select the "gellin?" link in the lighting drop down. Then post questions in here if you have any. There's ALLOT more than that in regards to lighting. But this will start you out.

I have more links. I'm sure you already know about the Strobist movement as well.

-Jon

*post a comment in my blog if you like what you read!