family portrait

gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited December 4, 2007 in People
I took this portrait of my friend's family yesterday. I'd love to get some C&C on it. I had a flash off camera right set up with a shoot-through umbrella. In retrospect I'm guessing that was probably a mistake, and maybe should have used a reflective umbrella instead? I'm not sure it was strong enough. I tried to follow some of the processing advice I've found on dgrin in the "finishing for portraits" thread.

Anyway, thanks for looking:

228421283-XL.jpg
There's a thin line between genius and stupid.

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I think this is a beautiful portrait. Nice, comfortable posing, beautiful setting, nice backlighting. My only extremely minor nit is the blown area on dad's cheek which should be easy enough to fix.

Well done. They should be thrilled with this one.clap.gif
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Thanks Mitchell! I really appreciate your feedback. Regarding the blown part on the father's cheek... that's a result of the flash - what do you think is the best way to avoid having that happen in the first place? Is it the angle of the light, or should I be prepared to throw a little powder on people with shinier faces?
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    I really like this! Well done! Beautiful, warm lighting and your off camera flash looks like it filled in very nicely, IMO. Thanks for sharing!

clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography