Options

Enumerating images in a large album

talapustalapus Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
Hi all!

I am running into either a bug or my own stupidity. I created an album that is larger than what I have worked with in the past (~400 pictures), and I am having trouble enumerating it through the API. Heavy=0 works fine, but Heavy=1 fails with “server closed connection”.

For instance:

http://api.smugmug.com/hack/rest/1.2.0/?APIKey=JN5iVug82CBlEZjenjIKGKHHWUN0P1uS&method=smugmug.images.get&SessionID=f2a034255b64e7dd0614a4e50f5a9ac9&AlbumID=3917193&Heavy=0

works, but

http://api.smugmug.com/hack/rest/1.2.0/?APIKey=JN5iVug82CBlEZjenjIKGKHHWUN0P1uS&method=smugmug.images.get&SessionID=f2a034255b64e7dd0614a4e50f5a9ac9&AlbumID=3917193&Heavy=1
doesn’t.

Other (smaller) albums work fine.

Is it something with the server not allowing large requests, or with the way I am issuing them?

Thanks for your help!

--lev

Comments

• Options
    rkallarkalla Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Lev, does the request die immediately, or does it take a while then die?

I've had plenty of *large* requests (transfer stats, heavy requests, etc) simple time out on me and die. Sometimes retrying them over and over doesn't work, and other times it will eventually work.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Takes a little while typically, yes. But this is a consistent problem --- the request never works, no matter how many times I retry... Would be really nice to find a workaround...

Thanks,

--Lev
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 5, 2007
    talapus wrote:
    Takes a little while typically, yes. But this is a consistent problem --- the request never works, no matter how many times I retry... Would be really nice to find a workaround...

Thanks,

--Lev

Lev,

I have been looking into the issue today, works fine if there is no password on that gallery. But I am having a hard time reproducing it on our internal servers so that I can debug it properly.

Will keep looking tomorrow.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    rkallarkalla Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Lev,

I have been looking into the issue today, works fine if there is no password on that gallery. But I am having a hard time reproducing it on our internal servers so that I can debug it properly.

Cheers,

David

David,
    Maybe considering a modification of large requests for 1.2.1 that return say 100, 500 or 1000 results (whatever unit is easiest to return in 3-5 secs) and then a marker, so you can request more results, from that marker forward?
  • Options
    pthpth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Flickr handles this by having page_size and page parameters. Set the defaults at say 500 and 1. And allow the client to drive it.

This works nicely when you displaying in a paged environment (it is difficult to view 500 photos at once).

pth
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Lev,

Cheers,

David

Indeed --- removing the passwords solves the problem... Weird, seeing as how I am signed in and so should not be hobbled by my own password...

Thanks for looking into it --- would be great to have a solution.

--Lev
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    Bump: any news?

Thanks,

--Lev
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    talapus wrote:
    Bump: any news?

Thanks,

--Lev

Hey Lev,

Sorry this week has been pretty crazy with the SmugMug party, I just got back to Australia today. I will look into it again tomorrow.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    This issue is fixed and live.

Can you please confirm.

Thanks,

David